#3 Block Plane
OK.  I have a few pictures of an old block plane that belonged to my grandfather.  I have tried to resize the pictures, but I don't know if I got it to work.  I have posted a question relating to resizing pictures in the help section.  We'll see if I have done it right.  

This #3 Block Plane has this imprinted on one of the faces: "From F.W. Jaedicke, Lawrence KS".  On another face is something that looks like:  "SC10   0WORKS".  That's the best I can figure out.

I doubt that I will ever get it to function as designed, but I'd at least like to make it presentable.

A question about the end of the plane that looks like a plug.  I've seen this on similar planes, but I can't find any information abo0ut it.  Does anyone know anything about this?

Anyway, here are three pictures of this plane.

Thanks for any info anyone might have.

Falcon

Attached Files Image(s)

It is a smoothing plane, called a coffin plane by many because of its shape. I have one on my front room wall, but it doesn't have what looks to be a plug of some kind. I have seen several over the years and none have had a button like your pictures. Your plane looks to have a split in the front and a dowel or screw was used to reinforce the front of the plane to keep the front from opening up.

At lest that is what I think the reason is. I am not in any way an expert in that or any other type of planes so it is only what I think.

Tom
(03-28-2021, 01:31 PM)tablesawtom Wrote: It is a smoothing plane, called a coffin plane by many because of its shape. I have one on my front room wall, but it doesn't have what looks to be a plug of some kind. I have seen several over the years and none have had a button like your pictures. Your plane looks to have a split in the front and a dowel or screw was used to reinforce the front of the plane to keep the front from opening up.

At lest that is what I think the reason is. I am not in any way an expert in that or any other type of planes so it is only what I think.

Tom

Thanks, Tom.  Looks like I posted this on the wrong forum.  I can't read and my fingers are too big I guess.
Sorry, I put this on the wrong forum.  Oh well.  Anyway, I wanted to post a picture of the end of this plane and show what looks like some sort of plug.  So here is the picture.

Attached Files Image(s)

That type of plane is adjusted with hammer taps.  Often there will be a spot that has a metal bit that can take the hammer blows without deforming the wood of the plane body.  Generally there is one in back. I haven't seen them in the front like yours shows.
(03-29-2021, 08:42 AM)stav Wrote: That type of plane is adjusted with hammer taps.  Often there will be a spot that has a metal bit that can take the hammer blows without deforming the wood of the plane body.  Generally there is one in back. I haven't seen them in the front like yours shows.

You're right.  This plug looking thing is in the back.  I doubt it is operable anymore.  I don't plan to use it as a plane anyway.  Thanks for the info, though.
(03-29-2021, 01:05 PM)falcon Wrote: You're right.  This plug looking thing is in the back.  I doubt it is operable anymore.  I don't plan to use it as a plane anyway.  Thanks for the info, though.
Here's a shot I just took of an old Alex Mathieson and Sons dovetailed smoother with a brass tapping plug. Even used on some metal planes.

[Image: 9-BIE0r8c-SY6-h-H3x7r4-Jp-Q.jpg]
Often Tested.    Always Faithful.      Brothers Forever

Jack Edgar, Sgt. U.S. Marines, Korea, America's Forgotten War
Get off my lawn !
Upset

Wow Timberwolf, you have all the nice toys.  Sweet looking plane.
(03-29-2021, 04:54 PM)stav Wrote: Wow Timberwolf, you have all the nice toys.  Sweet looking plane.
It's a heavy little brute tho,,once you get it moving, it doesn't want to stop.....
Big Grin
Often Tested.    Always Faithful.      Brothers Forever

Jack Edgar, Sgt. U.S. Marines, Korea, America's Forgotten War
Get off my lawn !
Upset