Woodnet Forums
Why do I bring these things home? - Printable Version

+- Woodnet Forums (https://www.forums.woodnet.net)
+-- Thread: Why do I bring these things home? (/showthread.php?tid=7362805)

Why do I bring these things home? - clovishound - 05-12-2021

Clovispup and I decided to visit a local antique mall yesterday. I made a beeline for the tools. Found lots of junk. Lots of way overpriced decent to good stuff. A really neat Plumb hewing hatchet for $69. I wanted it, but not at that price.

Anyway, I ran across a whole pile of braces. Found a decent Stanley 923, 10 inch. It needed a good cleaning and lubricating, and had a fair amount of surface rust, but was sound and everything worked. For $5 it went home with me. It had what looked like badly work-stained maple.

I already have a number of braces. Several in good condition. I use them occasionally, but have no real need for more.

I get a kick out of the labels on some of the tools.

"handle saw"   - draw knife

"block plane"   - wooden jointer plane

"punch"          - saw set

Anybody know what time frame they made the braces with a grey coating. I believe the earlier braces were chrome plated and had rosewood handles. This looks like it should have been made before the 60s. I could be wrong. It does have the look of the 1949 patent date ratchet mechanism, but there is no marking of the patent on the ratchet.

RE: Why do I bring these things home? - clovishound - 05-12-2021

Oops.

Clicked on wrong forum.

RE: Why do I bring these things home? - toolmiser - 05-12-2021

And you didn't post any pictures.

RE: Why do I bring these things home? - MT Woodworker - 05-12-2021

Why not bring it home?

RE: Why do I bring these things home? - clovishound - 05-13-2021

(05-12-2021, 08:36 PM)MT Woodworker Wrote: Why not bring it home?

Well, that is what I thought when I walked out of the antique store. Once I got it home I looked at the handful of braces that I already have and began to wonder. Of course, I then got busy cleaning it up. It could use some more derusting, but is now in good working order. I'll probably leave it at that. I probably got $5 worth of enjoyment working on it.

Maybe I'll mount a screwdriver bit holder in it and use it as a dedicated speed driver.

Pictures added:

[attachment=35276]

[attachment=35277]

RE: Why do I bring these things home? - hbmcc - 05-13-2021

It doesn't work, but has so much potential. So returning it to former utility brings enjoyment and satisfaction. A monetary bargain makes the result that much more satisfying. We can satisfy that same urge by creating items of function and attractiveness with those tools also.

That's my two cents....