Why do I bring these things home?
Clovispup and I decided to visit a local antique mall yesterday. I made a beeline for the tools. Found lots of junk. Lots of way overpriced decent to good stuff. A really neat Plumb hewing hatchet for $69. I wanted it, but not at that price.

Anyway, I ran across a whole pile of braces. Found a decent Stanley 923, 10 inch. It needed a good cleaning and lubricating, and had a fair amount of surface rust, but was sound and everything worked. For $5 it went home with me. It had what looked like badly work-stained maple.

I already have a number of braces. Several in good condition. I use them occasionally, but have no real need for more.

I get a kick out of the labels on some of the tools.

"handle saw"   - draw knife

"block plane"   - wooden jointer plane

"punch"          - saw set

Anybody know what time frame they made the braces with a grey coating. I believe the earlier braces were chrome plated and had rosewood handles. This looks like it should have been made before the 60s. I could be wrong. It does have the look of the 1949 patent date ratchet mechanism, but there is no marking of the patent on the ratchet.
"Mongo only pawn in game of life."        Mongo
Oops.

Clicked on wrong forum.
And you didn't post any pictures.
Why not bring it home?
(05-12-2021, 08:36 PM)MT Woodworker Wrote: Why not bring it home?

Well, that is what I thought when I walked out of the antique store. Once I got it home I looked at the handful of braces that I already have and began to wonder. Of course, I then got busy cleaning it up. It could use some more derusting, but is now in good working order. I'll probably leave it at that. I probably got $5 worth of enjoyment working on it.

Maybe I'll mount a screwdriver bit holder in it and use it as a dedicated speed driver.

Pictures added:

It doesn't work, but has so much potential. So returning it to former utility brings enjoyment and satisfaction. A monetary bargain makes the result that much more satisfying. We can satisfy that same urge by creating items of function and attractiveness with those tools also.

That's my two cents....
Heirlooms are self-important fiction so build what you like. Someone may find it useful.