Woodnet Forums
Disassembling a SawStop - Printable Version

+- Woodnet Forums (https://www.forums.woodnet.net)
+-- Thread: Disassembling a SawStop (/showthread.php?tid=7362874)

Pages: 1 2

Disassembling a SawStop - KC - 05-16-2021

Three of the 8 (?) hex drive screws that connect the rails to the saw top (and wings)  will.not.budge.  The five I did break loose took everything I had.  The other 3 are rounded off enough now from the key slipping that I guess the rails are going to stay on it during the move.  
Upset  With the extension table off, it's probably no biggie... but I took the Xacta saw apart four of 5 times and never had this problem.  And since I put the SS together, I know I didn't put any extra gorilla on those screws.  

Thanks for listening.  I feel better now.

RE: Disassembling a SawStop - Roly - 05-16-2021

(05-16-2021, 12:24 PM)KC Wrote: Three of the 8 (?) hex drive screws that connect the rails to the saw top (and wings)  will.not.budge.  The five I did break loose took everything I had.  The other 3 are rounded off enough now from the key slipping that I guess the rails are going to stay on it during the move.  
Upset  With the extension table off, it's probably no biggie... but I took the Xacta saw apart four of 5 times and never had this problem.  And since I put the SS together, I know I didn't put any extra gorilla on those screws.  

Have you tried a 5mm hex bit in a impact driver ?   May work.   Roly

RE: Disassembling a SawStop - KC - 05-16-2021

(05-16-2021, 01:24 PM)Roly Wrote: Have you tried a 5mm hex bit in a impact driver ?   May work.   Roly

Rounded off just a bit too much for that at this point.  
No
Sad

I did go the hex it socket/ratchet.  Mess with it (them) too much before that, too.

RE: Disassembling a SawStop - Handplanesandmore - 05-16-2021

I'd use a grinder(cutting disc)/drill (if necessary) and remove the rounded bolts.

Simon

RE: Disassembling a SawStop - iclark - 05-17-2021

(05-16-2021, 10:06 PM)Handplanesandmore Wrote: I'd use a grinder(cutting disc)/drill (if necessary) and remove the rounded bolts.

Simon

or use a left-hand drill bit in a reversible drill motor. One the size of the screw shaft ought to be about right.

Either it unscrews the screw for you or it removes the screw head.

You are going to have to replace those screws in the new shop anyway.

RE: Disassembling a SawStop - Bill_de - 05-17-2021

(05-16-2021, 12:24 PM)KC Wrote: Three of the 8 (?) hex drive screws that connect the rails to the saw top (and wings)  will.not.budge.  The five I did break loose took everything I had.  The other 3 are rounded off enough now from the key slipping that I guess the rails are going to stay on it during the move.  

???

CTA Tools 9030 Fluted Screw Extractor Set, 5-Piece - - Amazon.com

---

RE: Disassembling a SawStop - MT Woodworker - 05-17-2021

As mentioned above by Ivan, in conjunction with the left hand drill bit, you can drill a complete through hole to relieve some of the stress on the threads of the fastener.
Used that technique to remove stubborn fasteners on jet engines at times.

RE: Disassembling a SawStop - fredhargis - 05-17-2021

I can only sympathize and suggest you find a method to get them out and replace them while the saw is apart. Curious as to why they are frozen, but that may just be an unsolvable puzzle.

RE: Disassembling a SawStop - Handplanesandmore - 05-17-2021

(05-17-2021, 07:40 AM)fredhargis Wrote: I can only sympathize and suggest you find a method to get them out and replace them while the saw is apart. Curious as to why they are frozen, but that may just be an unsolvable puzzle.

Since they haven't been over-tightened, rust?

Simon

RE: Disassembling a SawStop - stav - 05-17-2021

Can you get some vice grips on those bolts?