Woodnet Forums
Ruler trick - any reason not to use it? - Printable Version

+- Woodnet Forums (https://www.forums.woodnet.net)
+-- Thread: Ruler trick - any reason not to use it? (/showthread.php?tid=7363119)

Pages: 1 2 3

Ruler trick - any reason not to use it? - Juss1 - 05-30-2021

Sorry for All the questions.    Besides chisels are there any instances where the ruler trick should not be used.  Would it not be advisable on bevel up and shooting planes (I have the veritas if that matters) as well?  Also how far from the edge do you place the ruler.

RE: Ruler trick - any reason not to use it? - Handplanesandmore - 05-31-2021

I do not use the trick on my Japanese blades.

The ruler is placed flush with the edge of the stone.

Simon

RE: Ruler trick - any reason not to use it? - MauleSkinner - 05-31-2021

As long as you don’t put on so much back bevel that you don’t have a clearance angle, I don’t see a problem with bevel-up planes.

RE: Ruler trick - any reason not to use it? - AHill - 06-01-2021

The only reason not to use it is if the back is already flat. Once you flatten the back of a stone, you're done. You never need to go back to flattening the back again. Also, don't use the ruler trick on chisels. If you're paring or flush trimming a plug, that 2/3 degree back bevel will leave a bump that you will need to remove by sanding or scraping.

RE: Ruler trick - any reason not to use it? - adamcherubini - 06-01-2021

What about curved irons? I’m fine with the concept.

RE: Ruler trick - any reason not to use it? - rwe2156 - 06-03-2021

The back still needs to be flat, at least across the first 1/2" or so in order to hone the edge + the cap iron to function.

RT is just a way to get a sharper edge and/or create an effectively higher frog angle.

RE: Ruler trick - any reason not to use it? - wmickley - 06-03-2021

(05-30-2021, 10:49 AM)Juss1 Wrote: Sorry for All the questions.    Besides chisels are there any instances where the ruler trick should not be used.  Would it not be advisable on bevel up and shooting planes (I have the veritas if that matters) as well?  Also how far from the edge do you place the ruler.

If you are constantly buying new planes or new plane irons, the ruler trick will save time getting started. The downside is that you then have to use the ruler every time you sharpen.

If you use a plane iron until it is worn out, the time spent initially, getting the back flat near the edge, is easily made up by the time saved by not having to fool with a ruler each time you sharpen.

RE: Ruler trick - any reason not to use it? - Timberwolf - 06-03-2021

(06-03-2021, 08:42 AM)wmickley Wrote: If you are constantly buying new planes or new plane irons, the ruler trick will save time getting started. The downside is that you then have to use the ruler every time you sharpen.

If you use a plane iron until it is worn out, the time spent initially, getting the back flat near the edge, is easily made up by the time saved by not having to fool with a ruler each time you sharpen.

I can't remember ever having a problem just holding the iron flat against a flat stone...never needed a ruler...to me it is solving a non-existent problem. But to each his own..
Big Grin

RE: Ruler trick - any reason not to use it? - Handplanesandmore - 06-03-2021

C'mon guys. How much time are we talking about here in terms of saving in using or in not using the ruler trick? Seconds a time! In the grand scheme of things, it's nothing. I find many woodworkers wasting/losing their time not because of taking up one method of [fill in the blank as you like] or not, but because of impatience, making mistakes after mistakes, processes after processes, and projects after projects.

Ruler or not, the trick is be persistent in using the method that works, and become a master of it. 

Simon

RE: Ruler trick - any reason not to use it? - hbmcc - 06-03-2021

(06-03-2021, 10:04 AM)Timberwolf Wrote: ......................
I can't remember ever having a problem just holding the iron flat against a flat stone...never needed a ruler...to me it is solving a non-existent problem.  But to each his own..
Big Grin

I think most remarks so far echo my own thoughts. It's enough to work one bevel [and a flat] without adding a second bevel to the regimen. Plus, if you look for wire edges--or not--you are probably stroking the back to hurry along a sharper edge. Mostly, I look at the used crap I am dealt and buy a new blade. The junk reminds me of an axe attacked by monkey on the end of an angle grinder, and then used to cut a trench through a forest floor.