Woodnet Forums
Cabinet scraper advice? - Printable Version

+- Woodnet Forums (https://www.forums.woodnet.net)
+-- Thread: Cabinet scraper advice? (/showthread.php?tid=7366368)

Pages: 1 2

Cabinet scraper advice? - Aram - 12-04-2021

I have a big stack of card scrapers. I use them to clean up glue lines, smooth out small divots from my machines, and occasionally to make two slightly different heights flush, if a block plane won't do. Typically, I would use thumb pressure to get a small bend. My hands are getting weaker, and it is getting about impossible for me to use them any more. I can still dress an edge.

I have a scraper plane, but that is a different animal, and not necessarily the best for all of those tasks. So I was thinking of getting a cabinet scraper, which (I think) will cover *some* of those uses.

Good idea? If yes, which one? Lee Valley looks nice, though sole seems rather long front to back.

Thoughts? Advice?

Thanks!

RE: Cabinet scraper advice? - Rob Young - 12-04-2021

(12-04-2021, 01:35 PM)Aram Wrote: I have a big stack of card scrapers. I use them to clean up glue lines, smooth out small divots from my machines, and occasionally to make two slightly different heights flush, if a block plane won't do. Typically, I would use thumb pressure to get a small bend. My hands are getting weaker, and it is getting about impossible for me to use them any more. I can still dress an edge.

I have a scraper plane, but that is a different animal, and not necessarily the best for all of those tasks. So I was thinking of getting a cabinet scraper, which (I think) will cover *some* of those uses.

Good idea? If yes, which one? Lee Valley looks nice, though sole seems rather long front to back.

Thoughts? Advice?

Thanks!
Stanley #80s show up pretty regular in S&S here and over on the other big forum. 

If you can find a #80M for the malleable iron version, that's great. The blades are easy to find too. 

That said, I did buy one of the Rockler (BenchDog) knock-off castings the other day. They were cheap, like $25. It will need a bit of work but the sole seem flat enough. What is weird though it the blade is thicker than 1/16"! Doesn't really flex. But I'll test it a bit in the next week or so. It looks like I could substitute a standard #80 blade if I wanted.

I have also used a Veritas copy of the #80 that a friend owns. Works just fine. Likewise the green Kunz version.

RE: Cabinet scraper advice? - TheCabinetmaker - 12-04-2021

I also use an 80M, easy to set and you can change the depth of cut with the thumbscrew.

RE: Cabinet scraper advice? - Hank Knight - 12-04-2021

Stanley #80. Simple, effective and easy to use - much easier than a #112 type scraper plane.

RE: Cabinet scraper advice? - Aram - 12-04-2021

(12-04-2021, 02:03 PM)Rob Young Wrote: Stanley #80s show up pretty regular in S&S here and over on the other big forum. 

If you can find a #80M for the malleable iron version, that's great. The blades are easy to find too. 

That said, I did buy one of the Rockler (BenchDog) knock-off castings the other day. They were cheap, like $25. It will need a bit of work but the sole seem flat enough. What is weird though it the blade is thicker than 1/16"! Doesn't really flex. But I'll test it a bit in the next week or so. It looks like I could substitute a standard #80 blade if I wanted.

I have also used a Veritas copy of the #80 that a friend owns. Works just fine. Likewise the green Kunz version.

(12-04-2021, 03:59 PM)TheCabinetmaker Wrote: I also use an 80M, easy to set and you can change the depth of cut with the thumbscrew.

(12-04-2021, 04:13 PM)Hank Knight Wrote: Stanley #80. Simple, effective and easy to use - much easier than a #112 type scraper plane.

Thanks to all of you. This looks like an easy decision.

RE: Cabinet scraper advice? - Kansas City Fireslayer - 12-04-2021

Veritas has a card scraper tool that has a nut that adds the bow and side handles. Works super slick for tired or warm fingers.

RE: Cabinet scraper advice? - Mike Brady - 12-05-2021

As KCF says above, the Veritas "80" is a worthwhile upgrade to the Stanley #80.  Although almost identical in appearance, the Veritas version operates smoother and the blades are available separately.  I used it alot on the sharpening bench project because the ash was very difficult to plane without tearout.

RE: Cabinet scraper advice? - Katzrme - 12-05-2021

+1 on the Veritas #80. Excellent tool.

RE: Cabinet scraper advice? - Aram - 12-05-2021

(12-05-2021, 01:37 PM)Katzrme Wrote: +1 on the Veritas #80. Excellent tool.

Thanks, all. I picked up an 80M off eBay. At some point, I'll might it my woodworking buddy and go for the Veritas. Appreciate the advice.

RE: Cabinet scraper advice? - dry heat - 12-06-2021

(12-05-2021, 02:34 PM)Aram Wrote: Thanks, all. I picked up an 80M off eBay. At some point, I'll might it my woodworking buddy and go for the Veritas. Appreciate the advice.

Take a look at StewMac they are a luthier tool co. They have a thick scraper that works really well for me and not requiring much if any arcing pressure. 
Ed