Cabinet scraper advice?
I have a big stack of card scrapers. I use them to clean up glue lines, smooth out small divots from my machines, and occasionally to make two slightly different heights flush, if a block plane won't do. Typically, I would use thumb pressure to get a small bend. My hands are getting weaker, and it is getting about impossible for me to use them any more. I can still dress an edge.

I have a scraper plane, but that is a different animal, and not necessarily the best for all of those tasks. So I was thinking of getting a cabinet scraper, which (I think) will cover *some* of those uses.

Good idea? If yes, which one? Lee Valley looks nice, though sole seems rather long front to back.

Thoughts? Advice?

Thanks!
Best,
Aram, always learning

"Perfection is achieved, not when there is nothing more to add, but when there is nothing left to take away.” Antoine de Saint-Exupery

Web: My woodworking photo site
(12-04-2021, 01:35 PM)Aram Wrote: I have a big stack of card scrapers. I use them to clean up glue lines, smooth out small divots from my machines, and occasionally to make two slightly different heights flush, if a block plane won't do. Typically, I would use thumb pressure to get a small bend. My hands are getting weaker, and it is getting about impossible for me to use them any more. I can still dress an edge.

I have a scraper plane, but that is a different animal, and not necessarily the best for all of those tasks. So I was thinking of getting a cabinet scraper, which (I think) will cover *some* of those uses.

Good idea? If yes, which one? Lee Valley looks nice, though sole seems rather long front to back.

Thoughts? Advice?

Thanks!
Stanley #80s show up pretty regular in S&S here and over on the other big forum. 

If you can find a #80M for the malleable iron version, that's great. The blades are easy to find too. 

That said, I did buy one of the Rockler (BenchDog) knock-off castings the other day. They were cheap, like $25. It will need a bit of work but the sole seem flat enough. What is weird though it the blade is thicker than 1/16"! Doesn't really flex. But I'll test it a bit in the next week or so. It looks like I could substitute a standard #80 blade if I wanted.

I have also used a Veritas copy of the #80 that a friend owns. Works just fine. Likewise the green Kunz version.
Don't sweat the petty things and don't pet the sweaty things. -- G. Carlin
I also use an 80M, easy to set and you can change the depth of cut with the thumbscrew.
Captain Kirk was talking about my shop when he said: Space the final frontier!   
Stanley #80. Simple, effective and easy to use - much easier than a #112 type scraper plane.
(12-04-2021, 02:03 PM)Rob Young Wrote: Stanley #80s show up pretty regular in S&S here and over on the other big forum. 

If you can find a #80M for the malleable iron version, that's great. The blades are easy to find too. 

That said, I did buy one of the Rockler (BenchDog) knock-off castings the other day. They were cheap, like $25. It will need a bit of work but the sole seem flat enough. What is weird though it the blade is thicker than 1/16"! Doesn't really flex. But I'll test it a bit in the next week or so. It looks like I could substitute a standard #80 blade if I wanted.

I have also used a Veritas copy of the #80 that a friend owns. Works just fine. Likewise the green Kunz version.

(12-04-2021, 03:59 PM)TheCabinetmaker Wrote: I also use an 80M, easy to set and you can change the depth of cut with the thumbscrew.

(12-04-2021, 04:13 PM)Hank Knight Wrote: Stanley #80. Simple, effective and easy to use - much easier than a #112 type scraper plane.

Thanks to all of you. This looks like an easy decision.
Best,
Aram, always learning

"Perfection is achieved, not when there is nothing more to add, but when there is nothing left to take away.” Antoine de Saint-Exupery

Veritas has a card scraper tool that has a nut that adds the bow and side handles. Works super slick for tired or warm fingers.

As KCF says above, the Veritas "80" is a worthwhile upgrade to the Stanley #80.  Although almost identical in appearance, the Veritas version operates smoother and the blades are available separately.  I used it alot on the sharpening bench project because the ash was very difficult to plane without tearout.
+1 on the Veritas #80. Excellent tool.
(12-05-2021, 01:37 PM)Katzrme Wrote: +1 on the Veritas #80. Excellent tool.

Thanks, all. I picked up an 80M off eBay. At some point, I'll might it my woodworking buddy and go for the Veritas. Appreciate the advice.
Best,
Aram, always learning

(12-05-2021, 02:34 PM)Aram Wrote: Thanks, all. I picked up an 80M off eBay. At some point, I'll might it my woodworking buddy and go for the Veritas. Appreciate the advice.

Take a look at StewMac they are a luthier tool co. They have a thick scraper that works really well for me and not requiring much if any arcing pressure. 
Ed