Woodnet Forums
Bandsaw Blade Recommendation - Printable Version

+- Woodnet Forums (https://www.forums.woodnet.net)
+-- Thread: Bandsaw Blade Recommendation (/showthread.php?tid=7366989)

Bandsaw Blade Recommendation - lift mechanic - 01-05-2022

I rarely use a bandsaw and need a couple new blades. The project I am doing I will have to rough cut about a 6" radius in 1 3/8" alder. Then I will use a patterning helical cutter head on a shaper for the final shape.

I would like a couple good quality 93 1/2" blades. One for above and a all round blade.  The 3 blades I have now have been abused 1/4", 1/2" and 3/4" blades. I will keep them for cutting antlers and other non woodworking stuff.

RE: Bandsaw Blade Recommendation - jteneyck - 01-05-2022

(01-05-2022, 04:39 PM)lift mechanic Wrote: I rarely use a bandsaw and need a couple new blades. The project I am doing I will have to rough cut about a 6" radius in 1 3/8" alder. Then I will use a patterning helical cutter head on a shaper for the final shape.

I would like a couple good quality 93 1/2" blades. One for above and a all round blade.  The 3 blades I have now have been abused 1/4", 1/2" and 3/4" blades. I will keep them for cutting antlers and other non woodworking stuff.

A really good all-around blade for a 14" Delta or knockoff, which all have 93-1/2" blades, is a 3/8" x 4 tpi.  You can rip, cut fairly tight radii, cut tenon cheeks, even resaw 6" or so.  

John

RE: Bandsaw Blade Recommendation - lift mechanic - 01-06-2022

Thanks John. Is one brand better than another?

RE: Bandsaw Blade Recommendation - jteneyck - 01-06-2022

(01-06-2022, 02:42 AM)lift mechanic Wrote: Thanks John. Is one brand better than another?

I've always liked Lennox blades.  The Flex Back at 93.5" x 3/8" x 0.025 x 4 tpi is $13.03 each at Spectrum Supply.  Pretty hard to beat.  That said, I'm using Strarrett blades right now, and have been since a friend gave me several coils.  I don't know which type they are but the 3/8" x 4 tpi blade I have on my 14" Delta 90% of the time cuts great.  You can buy Starrett blades at Amazon and the prices look to be about the same as the one I referenced above for a similar blade.  

John

RE: Bandsaw Blade Recommendation - BC in CT - 01-08-2022

I will second the Lennox blades as I have had very good luck with them. For something just a little less expensive you could also look at the Timber Wolf blades.

RE: Bandsaw Blade Recommendation - mdhills - 01-09-2022

I think it is very worthwhile to get a spare of any size you are using.

A lot of bandsaw cutting problems come from blade problems -- running the teeth into a guide, kinking, or just dulling over time.  They wear out much faster than what you might be expecting if you're used to carbide-tooth table saw blades.

For general-purpose blades, I've used:  starrett flex back (from Iturra), Timberwolf, Supercut, Viking (ordered through Lee Valley), and Lennox diemaster 2.  A lot of these have been recommendations from the forums and have been fine.

For your planned cuts, 3/8 x 4tpi is probably the best fit.
A 1/4 x 6tpi skip or hook is another general-purpose geometry that could work for this (not quite as well suited for the thickness, but good to have on hand if you need any tighter patterns)

This isn't a bad blade to get in bimetal, but you may want to just get a fresh (sharp) carbon blade and get on with life.

have fun!
Matt