Woodnet Forums
Half round table top method? - Printable Version

+- Woodnet Forums (https://www.forums.woodnet.net)
+-- Thread: Half round table top method? (/showthread.php?tid=7369631)

Pages: 1 2

Half round table top method? - ®smpr_fi_mac® - 06-22-2022

I would like to build a couple of simple half round tables with a radius of about 15-18".  Think small hall table or bedside table.  Legs will be simple metal hairpin legs.

My question is how to cut the top.  I have two methods in mind:

1)  Glue up a panel.  Cut it into a circle with a router trammel.  Attach it to a sled and rip it into two pieces.

2)  Create a template the shape of the top I want.  Glue up a panel.  Band saw the rough curve.  Refine the curve with a flush trim bit and the template.

How would you do it?  One of these methods?  Something else?

RE: Half round table top method? - brianwelch - 06-22-2022

I think I would go with door number 2...

RE: Half round table top method? - Bill Holt - 06-22-2022

I would probably do the half rounds separately using the trammel and router.

I did a 52" table on the band saw and I still had to do the trammel to get the edge I wanted. 

I love woodworking...there are so many ways to accomplish your goal.

RE: Half round table top method? - Rob Young - 06-22-2022

(06-22-2022, 08:01 AM)®smpr_fi_mac® Wrote: I would like to build a couple of simple half round tables with a radius of about 15-18".  Think small hall table or bedside table.  Legs will be simple metal hairpin legs.

1)  Glue up a panel.  Cut it into a circle with a router trammel.  Attach it to a sled and rip it into two pieces.

2)  Create a template the shape of the top I want.  Glue up a panel.  Band saw the rough curve.  Refine the curve with a flush trim bit and the template.

I bought a Shaper Origin in 2020 (tool budget got thrown out the window that day, but defiantly glad I did it) and would use it similar to #2.

The template would be a CAD file converted to SVG format and loaded into the S.O. Then I can cut down through the material maybe 1/4" to 3/8" and finish with a bandsaw and pattern bits.

RE: Half round table top method? - MichaelMouse - 06-22-2022

(06-22-2022, 08:01 AM)®smpr_fi_mac Wrote: How would you do it?  One of these methods?  Something else?

Glue up enough for a full circle with the old turner trick of paper between what will become two halves.  Then cut with the router or the bandsaw and circle jig and knock'em apart.

RE: Half round table top method? - iclark - 06-23-2022

(06-22-2022, 08:01 AM)®smpr_fi_mac® Wrote: I would like to build a couple of simple half round tables with a radius of about 15-18".  Think small hall table or bedside table.  Legs will be simple metal hairpin legs.

First, you buy a lathe ...

Wink

RE: Half round table top method? - MstrCarpenter - 06-23-2022

Both ways will accomplish the goal. My decision would be based on the stock available. We can obviously get both from a 40" square. We can also get both from a 20" x approx. 6' rectangle. And it will fit thru a planer.

I have a circle jig for my router table that utilizes a flush trimming bit. I use it to mark the circle, and without removing it, rough cut on the band saw before the finish pass on the R.T.. The jig is nothing more than a 1/2" thick stick with a 1/2" hole near one end and a slot slightly less than 1/2" from the hole to the end of the stick so the jig snaps hold of the bearing. A round head screw thru an accurately placed snug clearance hole starts the procedure. I don't recall ever using it for semi-circles, but it should work the same except you'll need to add a small temporary block for the screw because the "center" is on the edge of the blank.

RE: Half round table top method? - Handplanesandmore - 06-23-2022

MichaelMouse's paper method but cut the circle on the tablesaw.

Simon

RE: Half round table top method? - brianwelch - 06-23-2022

If I were to halve a 3' diameter disc on a table saw, I would need to come up with a very large sled, unless I am missing something... Otherwise, the paper joint sounds like a great and creative solution. Lastly, I would not be afraid to split the disc using a skilsaw and a clamped straight edge...

RE: Half round table top method? - Handplanesandmore - 06-23-2022

Brian,

You don't need a large sled to make circles. For a 3' - 5' dia.circle, the sled can just be 2' x 2'. Google how to cut circles on the table saw youtube.

The paper glueline is where the center point will be placed.

Simon