Half round table top method?
Question 
I would like to build a couple of simple half round tables with a radius of about 15-18".  Think small hall table or bedside table.  Legs will be simple metal hairpin legs.

My question is how to cut the top.  I have two methods in mind:

1)  Glue up a panel.  Cut it into a circle with a router trammel.  Attach it to a sled and rip it into two pieces.

2)  Create a template the shape of the top I want.  Glue up a panel.  Band saw the rough curve.  Refine the curve with a flush trim bit and the template.

How would you do it?  One of these methods?  Something else?
Semper fi,
Brad

I think I would go with door number 2...
I would probably do the half rounds separately using the trammel and router.

I did a 52" table on the band saw and I still had to do the trammel to get the edge I wanted. 

I love woodworking...there are so many ways to accomplish your goal.
"I tried being reasonable..........I didn't like it." Clint Eastwood
(06-22-2022, 08:01 AM)®smpr_fi_mac® Wrote: I would like to build a couple of simple half round tables with a radius of about 15-18".  Think small hall table or bedside table.  Legs will be simple metal hairpin legs.

1)  Glue up a panel.  Cut it into a circle with a router trammel.  Attach it to a sled and rip it into two pieces.

2)  Create a template the shape of the top I want.  Glue up a panel.  Band saw the rough curve.  Refine the curve with a flush trim bit and the template.

I bought a Shaper Origin in 2020 (tool budget got thrown out the window that day, but defiantly glad I did it) and would use it similar to #2.

The template would be a CAD file converted to SVG format and loaded into the S.O. Then I can cut down through the material maybe 1/4" to 3/8" and finish with a bandsaw and pattern bits.
Don't sweat the petty things and don't pet the sweaty things. -- G. Carlin
(06-22-2022, 08:01 AM)®smpr_fi_mac Wrote: How would you do it?  One of these methods?  Something else?

Glue up enough for a full circle with the old turner trick of paper between what will become two halves.  Then cut with the router or the bandsaw and circle jig and knock'em apart.
Better to follow the leader than the pack. Less to step in.
(06-22-2022, 08:01 AM)®smpr_fi_mac® Wrote: I would like to build a couple of simple half round tables with a radius of about 15-18".  Think small hall table or bedside table.  Legs will be simple metal hairpin legs.

First, you buy a lathe ...

Wink
"the most important safety feature on any tool is the one between your ears." - Ken Vick

A wish for you all:  May you keep buying green bananas.
Both ways will accomplish the goal. My decision would be based on the stock available. We can obviously get both from a 40" square. We can also get both from a 20" x approx. 6' rectangle. And it will fit thru a planer.

I have a circle jig for my router table that utilizes a flush trimming bit. I use it to mark the circle, and without removing it, rough cut on the band saw before the finish pass on the R.T.. The jig is nothing more than a 1/2" thick stick with a 1/2" hole near one end and a slot slightly less than 1/2" from the hole to the end of the stick so the jig snaps hold of the bearing. A round head screw thru an accurately placed snug clearance hole starts the procedure. I don't recall ever using it for semi-circles, but it should work the same except you'll need to add a small temporary block for the screw because the "center" is on the edge of the blank.
Sign at N.E. Vocational School Cabinetmaking Shop 1976, "Free knowledge given daily... Bring your own container"
MichaelMouse's paper method but cut the circle on the tablesaw.

Simon
If I were to halve a 3' diameter disc on a table saw, I would need to come up with a very large sled, unless I am missing something... Otherwise, the paper joint sounds like a great and creative solution. Lastly, I would not be afraid to split the disc using a skilsaw and a clamped straight edge...
Brian,

You don't need a large sled to make circles. For a 3' - 5' dia.circle, the sled can just be 2' x 2'. Google how to cut circles on the table saw youtube.

The paper glueline is where the center point will be placed.

Simon