Woodnet Forums
WIXEY Digital Read Out - Printable Version

+- Woodnet Forums (https://www.forums.woodnet.net)
+-- Thread: WIXEY Digital Read Out (/showthread.php?tid=7371663)

Pages: 1 2

WIXEY Digital Read Out - Ray Newman - 12-19-2022

This week, my DeWalt 735x thicknesser should arrive. 

Has anyone put a WIXEY DRO on a DeWalt 735? Any problems with installation? Does it work well enough to justify the cost? https://www.infinitytools.com/wixey-0-6-digital-planer-readout-for-portable-planers

According to the reviews, it is the cat's meow, but I am a natural skeptic when it comes to electronic gadgets.

RE: WIXEY Digital Read Out - fredhargis - 12-19-2022

No idea about installing on a 735, but I've had one on my Delta 15" for probably 8-9 years....and I love it. It does need to be re calibrated every so often (an easy task), but it's dead nuts on the money when I check it against a digital caliper. What I like most is that when planing I can count on the board being what the reading says, and it also enables me to go back and match it if I need a another piece of wood later.

RE: WIXEY Digital Read Out - Roly - 12-19-2022

(12-19-2022, 06:15 AM)fredhargis Wrote: No idea about installing on a 735, but I've had one on my Delta 15" for probably 8-9 years....and I love it. It does need to be re calibrated every so often (an easy task), but it's dead nuts on the money when I check it against a digital caliper. What I like most is that when planing I can count on the board being what the reading says, and it also enables me to go back and match it if I need a another piece of wood later.

I second everything Fred said as that is my experience with it also.  Roly

RE: WIXEY Digital Read Out - JohnnyEgo - 12-19-2022

I have one on my Sawstop, and wish I'd done it years ago. There's no easy mounting option for my Hammer planer or I'd put one on it, too.

RE: WIXEY Digital Read Out - lift mechanic - 12-19-2022

I have the Wixey on my delta DC 380 planer of several years now. If it ever stops working, I will replace it with another Wixey. I have another brand of DRO on my Unisaw fence, it works good but I like the Wixey better. Future plans are to mount a DRO on my Grizzly 24" drum sander.

RE: WIXEY Digital Read Out - ajkoontz - 12-19-2022

(12-19-2022, 06:15 AM)fredhargis Wrote: No idea about installing on a 735, but I've had one on my Delta 15" for probably 8-9 years....and I love it. It does need to be re calibrated every so often (an easy task), but it's dead nuts on the money when I check it against a digital caliper. What I like most is that when planing I can count on the board being what the reading says, and it also enables me to go back and match it if I need a another piece of wood later.

I did a non-standard install on a generic 15" planer so I'd agree with this assessment as far as install, accuracy, and repeatability when calibrated. However, I would differ in adding that even though I have one I just don't find myself using it that much. YMMV.

RE: WIXEY Digital Read Out - Aram - 12-19-2022

Same on my Powermatic 15-HH, except I never have to recalibrate, and it is off by maybe 0.002". It's not something I use often. But for certain things -- splines, floating tenons, matching thickness to existing board -- it's invaluable. Installation was easy.

RE: WIXEY Digital Read Out - firefighter - 12-19-2022

I put one on the 735. Instructions are clear and accurate. There are unique instructions for the 735. Love it use it every time.

RE: WIXEY Digital Read Out - Ray Newman - 12-20-2022

Gents: thanks for the information. Guess I will order one this week. Again thank you for your insights.

RE: WIXEY Digital Read Out - Arlin Eastman - 12-21-2022

Someone game me one years ago and for my feeble mind I could not figure it out.  What I would REALLY like to do is detach it on one and put it on another on machine in just a minute.  Like from my bandsaw to the jointer to the tablesaw to drill press.  Now that would save money and time.

I have been figuring that out for a few years and just may have an answer in a while and sell it.