Woodnet Forums
turnin' tiny . . . well, small at least (new one!) - Printable Version

+- Woodnet Forums (https://www.forums.woodnet.net)
+-- Thread: turnin' tiny . . . well, small at least (new one!) (/showthread.php?tid=7372537)

Pages: 1 2

turnin' tiny . . . well, small at least (new one!) - arthropod98 - 03-13-2023

i'm pretty bad at remembering to take pics, so decided to do a few before i forgot.  just some bracelets, pendants, and a ring:

[attachment=46758][attachment=46759][attachment=46760]

RE: turnin' tiny . . . well, small at least - FrankAtl - 03-13-2023

Wow, those are really nice! My wife would love one of those pendants!

RE: turnin' tiny . . . well, small at least - SceneryMaker - 03-13-2023

Beautiful. I made some vases that were less than 1" tall and found that those were more difficult to make than some that were 36" tall.

RE: turnin' tiny . . . well, small at least - arthropod98 - 03-14-2023

thanks, fellers!  
Big Grin

next few things won't be quite so small, so it'll be nice to change things up a bit!  doing about an 18" diameter cake stand  --  well, that's the plan at least!  
Laugh

RE: turnin' tiny . . . well, small at least - iclark - 03-14-2023

Very nice job on the tinies/smalls.

Were you using one of Ruth Niles' mandrels?

Work holding for the small things can be challenging for me.

RE: turnin' tiny . . . well, small at least - GNP - 03-14-2023

Very nice. .

RE: turnin' tiny . . . well, small at least - arthropod98 - 03-15-2023

(03-14-2023, 05:04 PM)iclark Wrote: Very nice job on the tinies/smalls.

Were you using one of Ruth Niles' mandrels?

Work holding for the small things can be challenging for me.

thanks!  i've got 4 of their bottle stopper mandrels, so i use those with a small wasteblock.  then just part 'em off.  got the sorby micro set, and also a few other pinnacle smaller tools which work great.  
Yes

RE: turnin' tiny . . . well, small at least - arthropod98 - 03-15-2023

thanks, GNP!  oh, and it doesn't come out real clear in the pics, but 2 on the left in the last pic is actually a little piece of small VERY spalted maple in the center  --  cutoffs from this pen from a few years ago.

got another one i'm working on now with the last piece from that  --  pretty glad to get 3 pendants outta about a 3/4" square piece!  
Laugh

RE: turnin' tiny . . . well, small at least (new one!) - arthropod98 - 03-31-2023

finally found a pin bail that would work, so was able to finish this one up.  outside is bloodwood, and the silver ring on the inside is actually a keychain piece that got hosed up when i glued the piece on, so decided to sink that whole thing into the bloodwood.  
Big Grin

[attachment=47078]

yeah, my picture takin' ain't so great.  
Laugh

RE: turnin' tiny . . . well, small at least (new one!) - Arlin Eastman - 04-05-2023

They look good.

I think it was Sir Chiz who did miniature way back and he did a fantastic job in his miniatures.