Woodnet Forums
Repair one vise, to use anoter - Printable Version

+- Woodnet Forums (https://www.forums.woodnet.net)
+-- Thread: Repair one vise, to use anoter (/showthread.php?tid=7372674)

Repair one vise, to use anoter - bandit571 - 03-29-2023

Over the past week or so...have noticed to bench vise is getting a bit loose in it's mountings...as in a couple of the #12 screws have stripped out..Decided against tearing apart that end of the bench...was bad enough 2 years ago...I did have a bit of Ash 1 x 6 left over...not really enough for any Projects...sooooo...
[attachment=47023]
7/8" was a bit too thick...set this up, with the blade as high as it would go...still not high enough....even after I had cross cut and ripped to size...D8 rip saw to finish things up
[attachment=47024]
Thin part can be stashed away, somewhere...The idea being to install this slab right over the jaw of the vise...and run a few screws into the "good wood" in the end cap..
[attachment=47025]
But, in order to do that..I needed to remove the movable half of the vise...then drill and counter-sink a few holes..
[attachment=47026]
Nothing in the middle, because of the steel platten of the vise is there,,,

Before I put the movable jaw back in place...a drop of 3in1 oil on both rods, and the first 3-4 threads...NOW it operates with just one finger!
Gave the "new" vise a test run...
[attachment=47027]
Wentworth No.1 plus it's 2 x 8 stand....a lot of weight sitting there...trying to see how steady this will be...Saw?
[attachment=47028]
12" Jackson, 14 ppi....will need a spotlight on the teeth...
[attachment=47029]
So...in the time it took to write this up..
[attachment=47030]
Saw has been sharpened up, test drive showed no binding...Wood is just pine...

Should be good for another 2 years?  have to decide which saw to do, next....

RE: Repair one vise, to use anoter - bandit571 - 03-29-2023

There is a No.3 Saw Vise in the shop...
[attachment=47055]
Not sure IF it is from Disston , or....
[attachment=47056]
Whom made it...only says "No.  3" on a jaw....

No.1 was busy, today...
[attachment=47057]
Not the "normal" rip saw in the shop...
[attachment=47058]
Handle is at this end...locking handle kept hitting the saw's handle, before it locked up..did not take all that long..
[attachment=47058]
To get to the other end....26" at  5teeth per inch...

Not sure who made the saw..
[attachment=47059]
Warranted Superior, carved handle...Medallion has the 1887 patent date....skew back, open top..

[attachment=47060]
What little I can make out of the etch (working on it) something about "New York Saw Works"? 

Not a Disston etch...hmmm?