Woodnet Forums
Construction Question - Printable Version

+- Woodnet Forums (https://forums.woodnet.net)
+-- Thread: Construction Question (/showthread.php?tid=7376157)

Construction Question - lscraig - 06-27-2024

Question: I am making a 32x60 dinette table for some newlyweds. The top is 1 in thick furniture grade white pine. Would you put breadboard edges on either end? Or would you leave it end grain showing with strong backs underneath?

RE: Construction Question - ajkoontz - 06-27-2024

Breadboard ends for sure, but only for aesthetic reasons. I like the look, and I think pine especially looks better with this treatment.

RE: Construction Question - Gary G™ - 06-27-2024

Breadboard ends for me

RE: Construction Question - jteneyck - 06-27-2024

Depends upon the look you're after.  There's no wrong or right.  Breadboard ends will help keep the top flat, but no more so than strong backs underneath.  A downside of breadboard ends is they will only ever be flush with the field of the tabletop twice a year.  Otherwise, it will be longer or shorter, depending upon the humidity.  With the breadboard ends I've made, I intentionally made them longer than the field so they will cover the ends of the field even during the period of highest humidity.  

John

RE: Construction Question - Bill Holt - 06-28-2024

(06-27-2024, 08:04 AM)ajkoontz Wrote: Breadboard ends for sure, but only for aesthetic reasons. I like the look, 
Ditto

RE: Construction Question - lscraig - 06-28-2024

Thanks everyone.  I think I'm going with strong backs underneath.  I have built the table tops both ways.  I want a clean look and dont really care for the end of the BB end being longer or shorter than the slab for most of the year.  I will put some strong backs with figure 8's under the top to keep it from smiling at you over time.