Construction Question
Question: I am making a 32x60 dinette table for some newlyweds. The top is 1 in thick furniture grade white pine. Would you put breadboard edges on either end? Or would you leave it end grain showing with strong backs underneath?
Thank You,

Shawn Craig

My Home Page
"I used to know a lot of things before I lost my mind."  Sylvia Stoner 1993

Breadboard ends for sure, but only for aesthetic reasons. I like the look, and I think pine especially looks better with this treatment.
Breadboard ends for me
Gary

Please don’t quote the trolls.
Liberty, Freedom and Individual Responsibility
Say what you'll do and do what you say.
Depends upon the look you're after.  There's no wrong or right.  Breadboard ends will help keep the top flat, but no more so than strong backs underneath.  A downside of breadboard ends is they will only ever be flush with the field of the tabletop twice a year.  Otherwise, it will be longer or shorter, depending upon the humidity.  With the breadboard ends I've made, I intentionally made them longer than the field so they will cover the ends of the field even during the period of highest humidity.  

John
(06-27-2024, 08:04 AM)ajkoontz Wrote: Breadboard ends for sure, but only for aesthetic reasons. I like the look, 
Ditto
"I tried being reasonable..........I didn't like it." Clint Eastwood
Thanks everyone.  I think I'm going with strong backs underneath.  I have built the table tops both ways.  I want a clean look and dont really care for the end of the BB end being longer or shorter than the slab for most of the year.  I will put some strong backs with figure 8's under the top to keep it from smiling at you over time.
Thank You,

Shawn Craig

My Home Page
"I used to know a lot of things before I lost my mind."  Sylvia Stoner 1993