Woodnet Forums
Needed a new offset base for my PC 690, and I needed it NOW - Printable Version

+- Woodnet Forums (https://forums.woodnet.net)
+-- Thread: Needed a new offset base for my PC 690, and I needed it NOW (/showthread.php?tid=7376332)

Pages: 1 2

Needed a new offset base for my PC 690, and I needed it NOW - lscraig - 07-21-2024

I've been using Porter Cable 690 routers for a long time. Yes, I know they don't make them anymore, but all my jigs are set up for them.

Ok, so several years ago, I made a wide plexiglass baseplate for one of my 690 fixed bases. I noticed it starting to crack, so I glued it shut with some CA glue and kept going. Well it finally broke for good right in the middle of my project.

I didn't have anymore plex, so I made an offset base out of some scrap 1/4" MDF and a leftover cabinet knob. It would have been better made out of plex. See pic #8. But you make do with what you have on hand.

I like making my own tools especially when all you need is an hour or so to keep on working. The offset base works great when rounding over. A ruined edge because the router wobbles will make you cry. Especially if the wood is expensive. Luckily, the current project is furniture grade white pine, but still a ruined edge is a lot of lost time.

Just a friendly post to remind everyone that sometimes you can make what you need if you just take time and look around.

Pics of the baseplate are here

RE: Needed a new offset base for my PC 690, and I needed it NOW - Bill Holt - 07-22-2024

I agree, especially on trim routers.  My shop arsenal includes a couple of the old 690s also.  I'm very luck, I received several pieces of plexiglass from a fellow woodworker.

RE: Needed a new offset base for my PC 690, and I needed it NOW - lscraig - 07-22-2024

(07-22-2024, 07:20 AM)Bill Holt Wrote: I agree, especially on trim routers.

Yep.  It only takes ONE ruined edge.  
Wink

RE: Needed a new offset base for my PC 690, and I needed it NOW - jteneyck - 07-22-2024

Yep, you make do with what you have so you can keep on working.  Well done.  I, too, have a PC-690.  It's at least 30 years old and still runs, though one of the bearings is starting to tell me it needs to be changed.  I can't imagine how many hours are on it now.  Once I got a Bosch 1617, though, the PC-690 has gotten far less use.  Variable speed and soft start are game changers.  The jigs I made for the PC also will fit the 1617 as they share a common hole pattern.  

John

RE: Needed a new offset base for my PC 690, and I needed it NOW - lscraig - 07-22-2024

(07-22-2024, 12:50 PM).  Ojteneyck Wrote: Yep, you make do with what you have so you can keep on working.  Well done.  I, too, have a PC-690.  It's at least 30 years old and still runs, though one of the bearings is starting to tell me it needs to be changed.  I can't imagine how many hours are on it now.  Once I got a Bosch 1617, though, the PC-690 has gotten far less use.  Variable speed and soft start are game changers.  The jigs I made for the PC also will fit the 1617 as they share a common hole pattern.  

John

I have a bosch 1617 in my router table.  I keep the bosch in the table, and use the PC's for hand work.  I have 2 or 3 PC 690 motors and several fixed bases.  One of the 690 motors are starting to make a little noise.  Once they go, I will have to start switching over.

RE: Needed a new offset base for my PC 690, and I needed it NOW - Tapper - 07-23-2024

I agree with John - "making do" is the name of the game when you're in the middle of a project. Since router brands were mentioned, I also have "several" 690's (collecting is a curse!) However, some time ago I found a deal on a Makita RF1101 D-handle on Ebay. Guy had a "Make an Offer" on it and I came up with what I thought was a ridiculously low ball offer, and he took it! Later picked up another one for a similar price.

These routers are the smoothest, quietest and ergonomically comfortable units I've ever used.

Doug

RE: Needed a new offset base for my PC 690, and I needed it NOW - stav - 07-23-2024

I made one out of laminate flooring scraps. And a circle jig as well. Laminate flooring works really well for this kind of stuff.

RE: Needed a new offset base for my PC 690, and I needed it NOW - museumguy - 07-23-2024

(07-23-2024, 12:51 PM)stav Wrote: I made one out of laminate flooring scraps. And a circle jig as well. Laminate flooring works really well for this kind of stuff.

I've read about this several times. Got any pics?

RE: Needed a new offset base for my PC 690, and I needed it NOW - stav - 07-24-2024

(07-23-2024, 06:17 PM)museumguy Wrote: I've read about this several times. Got any pics?

I can get some. I know where the circle jig is but I'm a little fuzzy on the location of the offset base.

[attachment=51961][attachment=51962]

I guess this could double as an offset base in a pinch.

RE: Needed a new offset base for my PC 690, and I needed it NOW - Stwood_ - 08-06-2024

Yep, I like making tools and attachments also. Have made several bases, all for 690 and 7500 series.
Sold a few of my PC's. I'm down to about 20 now.
I have a couple of bases I purchased from RouterMan, who is no longer with us.