Needed a new offset base for my PC 690, and I needed it NOW
Wink 
I've been using Porter Cable 690 routers for a long time. Yes, I know they don't make them anymore, but all my jigs are set up for them.

Ok, so several years ago, I made a wide plexiglass baseplate for one of my 690 fixed bases. I noticed it starting to crack, so I glued it shut with some CA glue and kept going. Well it finally broke for good right in the middle of my project.

I didn't have anymore plex, so I made an offset base out of some scrap 1/4" MDF and a leftover cabinet knob. It would have been better made out of plex. See pic #8. But you make do with what you have on hand.

I like making my own tools especially when all you need is an hour or so to keep on working. The offset base works great when rounding over. A ruined edge because the router wobbles will make you cry. Especially if the wood is expensive. Luckily, the current project is furniture grade white pine, but still a ruined edge is a lot of lost time.

Just a friendly post to remind everyone that sometimes you can make what you need if you just take time and look around.

Pics of the baseplate are here
Thank You,

Shawn Craig

My Home Page
"I used to know a lot of things before I lost my mind."  Sylvia Stoner 1993

I agree, especially on trim routers.  My shop arsenal includes a couple of the old 690s also.  I'm very luck, I received several pieces of plexiglass from a fellow woodworker.
"I tried being reasonable..........I didn't like it." Clint Eastwood
(07-22-2024, 07:20 AM)Bill Holt Wrote: I agree, especially on trim routers.

Yep.  It only takes ONE ruined edge.  
Wink
Thank You,

Shawn Craig

My Home Page

Yep, you make do with what you have so you can keep on working.  Well done.  I, too, have a PC-690.  It's at least 30 years old and still runs, though one of the bearings is starting to tell me it needs to be changed.  I can't imagine how many hours are on it now.  Once I got a Bosch 1617, though, the PC-690 has gotten far less use.  Variable speed and soft start are game changers.  The jigs I made for the PC also will fit the 1617 as they share a common hole pattern.  

John
(07-22-2024, 12:50 PM).  Ojteneyck Wrote: Yep, you make do with what you have so you can keep on working.  Well done.  I, too, have a PC-690.  It's at least 30 years old and still runs, though one of the bearings is starting to tell me it needs to be changed.  I can't imagine how many hours are on it now.  Once I got a Bosch 1617, though, the PC-690 has gotten far less use.  Variable speed and soft start are game changers.  The jigs I made for the PC also will fit the 1617 as they share a common hole pattern.  

John

I have a bosch 1617 in my router table.  I keep the bosch in the table, and use the PC's for hand work.  I have 2 or 3 PC 690 motors and several fixed bases.  One of the 690 motors are starting to make a little noise.  Once they go, I will have to start switching over.
Thank You,

Shawn Craig

My Home Page

I agree with John - "making do" is the name of the game when you're in the middle of a project. Since router brands were mentioned, I also have "several" 690's (collecting is a curse!) However, some time ago I found a deal on a Makita RF1101 D-handle on Ebay. Guy had a "Make an Offer" on it and I came up with what I thought was a ridiculously low ball offer, and he took it! Later picked up another one for a similar price.

These routers are the smoothest, quietest and ergonomically comfortable units I've ever used.

Doug
I made one out of laminate flooring scraps. And a circle jig as well. Laminate flooring works really well for this kind of stuff.
(07-23-2024, 12:51 PM)stav Wrote: I made one out of laminate flooring scraps. And a circle jig as well. Laminate flooring works really well for this kind of stuff.

I've read about this several times. Got any pics?
I no longer build museums but don't want to change my name. My new job is a lot less stressful. Life is much better.

Garry
(07-23-2024, 06:17 PM)museumguy Wrote: I've read about this several times. Got any pics?

I can get some. I know where the circle jig is but I'm a little fuzzy on the location of the offset base.

I guess this could double as an offset base in a pinch.
Yep, I like making tools and attachments also. Have made several bases, all for 690 and 7500 series.
Sold a few of my PC's. I'm down to about 20 now.
I have a couple of bases I purchased from RouterMan, who is no longer with us.
Steve

Mo.

I miss the days of using my dinghy with a girlfriend too. Zack Butler-4/18/24

The Revos apparently are designed to clamp railroad ties and pull together horrifically prepared joints
WaterlooMark 02/9/2020