Woodnet Forums
Owl drill bits - Printable Version

+- Woodnet Forums (https://forums.woodnet.net)
+-- Thread: Owl drill bits (/showthread.php?tid=7377045)

Owl drill bits - tablesawtom - 10-17-2024

I was watching Stumpy Nubs on You Tube the other night. Trust me, I take all you tubers with a grain of salt. Anyway he gave a recommendation about how well Owl bits worked and they somehow didn't have much if any blow out at the bottom of the hole

Well, I have to drill several holes by hand through the top of the work bench I am building. Anyway I checked out Amazon and I found an Owl 3/4 inch bit and the advertisement read developed for battery operated drills. So I bought one.

In a drill press it drills as clean a hole as any forester bit and is a lot easier to line up. Drills a lot fasted with less heat. Drilling through 4 inches of Ash with a 3/4 drill drill bit in a hand drill is not fun, but the Owl bit did it quite easily. Once a person gets so deep chip ejection became a problem and the drill has to be remover about every 1/2 inch for chip removal.

I do not impress easily but the owl bits impressed me enough to order a set of 7, 3/8ths through 1 1/4. They will replace the forstner bits of that size in my shop. 

I thought I would pass along that I really like the Owl bits,  And for what it is worth, I would recommend that you try one.

Tom

RE: Owl drill bits - barryvabeach - 10-17-2024

Tom   , thanks for the review.  I had seen that episode, but I do take what I see on Youtube with a grain or two of salt.