Shellac over BLO
I was wondering if you guys have ever tried shellac over BLO. I am finishing a aromatic cedar chest and I like the look of the grain after the BLO is applied but want to use shellac as a top coat. You guys have any thoughts on that? I tried a test piece with good results so far but dont want to start on my chest  and then start having a issue.
Thanks for your input.
I have done it on Birds Eye Maple, works fine.

Attached Files Image(s)

KNOWLEDGE AND EXPERIENCE EQUALS WISDOM. RMB
The SO asked me today, "what are you going to do to day"? I said "nothing".  She said, "that's what you did yesterday"! Me, "Yes love, but I was not finished yet"!!!!!!!!
Smirk

No problem at all. In fact Jeff Jewitt publishes a schedule he calls a "quick and dirty" french polish, which is a light coat of BLO, wiped off and thenned topped with shellac fairly quickly. I'm sure you wouldn't do this, but don't put any BLO in an enclosed space (or any other oil based finish). The odor will linger forever. Some say that if sealed with shellac it will solve the problem, but IME while the shellac does reduce the odor hugely, it is still noticeable. One thing to remember about shellac, it will stick to just about anything....BLO is a piece of cake. I would be remiss if I didn't mention what a beautiful piece that is that MikeBob posted, well done!
I started with absolutely nothing. Now, thanks to years of hard work, careful planning, and perseverance, I find I still have most of it left.
I did all my kitchen cabinets like that on Alder.   Remember to give the BLO time to set up after wiping off.  I let mine dry a day.     Keep the rags used for the BLO spread out and outside after using.    BLO is very good at spontaneous combustion.   Roly
Thanks for the compliment Fred.
It turn out nice with the Cherry Frame. It hangs by my entrance door it has a shelf below the mirror that does not show up well in that pic.
KNOWLEDGE AND EXPERIENCE EQUALS WISDOM. RMB
The SO asked me today, "what are you going to do to day"? I said "nothing".  She said, "that's what you did yesterday"! Me, "Yes love, but I was not finished yet"!!!!!!!!
Smirk

Thanks for the input. I will post a pic when I get it done.
MikeBob that is a beautiful piece.
I did precisely that with the grandkids cherry chests. Worked great!
Thanks,  Curt
-----------------
"Life can only be understood backwards; but it must be lived forwards."
      -- Soren Kierkegaard
I've done it. Works fine.
If you're gonna be one, be a Big Red One.