Glue creep question
(08-03-2024, 03:38 PM)jteneyck Wrote: I, too, used to use Weldwood PRG.  Great stuff and too bad they stopped making it.  I switched to Unibond 800.  Great stuff, too, as is epoxy; can't go wrong with any of them.  That said, I have been using TB II for more than 2 years now with zero issues on both veneer work and to make my own plywood.  The dining table I recently showed was made with TB II.  IMO, TB Original and TB II have more than adequate creep strength for any flat work and for curved work, too, if the laminations are thin enough to be easily bent.  

I would not use TB III for any of this, but many do without issue.  

I also should mention that polyurethane glue, like Gorilla Glue or TB's polyurethane, are terrific for veneer and lamination work.  Excellent properties, on par with the urea glues and epoxy.  

John

Wholeheartedly concur with Unibond 800 and epoxy.  Both GREAT glues!

I was recently making a 5' square table.  I have NO idea why they wanted it 5' x 5' but they did!
I was going to glue up 1/2 at a time and was worried about the open time for TB so I was going to switch to West Systems Epoxy.
I was questioning if I needed to wet (epoxy applied) both sides so I called Rockler.
The epoxy expert wasn't there but the lady that answered said she had never heard of using epoxy as a glue!!  What??
Went to the West site and verified that both sides should be wet.
(08-04-2024, 04:42 PM)iublue Wrote: Wholeheartedly concur with Unibond 800 and epoxy.  Both GREAT glues!

I was recently making a 5' square table.  I have NO idea why they wanted it 5' x 5' but they did!
I was going to glue up 1/2 at a time and was worried about the open time for TB so I was going to switch to West Systems Epoxy.
I was questioning if I needed to wet (epoxy applied) both sides so I called Rockler.
The epoxy expert wasn't there but the lady that answered said she had never heard of using epoxy as a glue!!  What??
Went to the West site and verified that both sides should be wet.

I would have no qualms about doing a 5 x 5 ft table with TB II.  The glue would be spread in less than 2 minutes/side, on the substrate only, of course.  The difficult part would be flipping the thing over in order to do the other side and getting it into the vacuum bag.  

I've never used epoxy, or any glue, on both sides for flat veneer work.  As long as you apply it according to the spread rate, it bonds just fine.  What's the correct spread rate?  Start with what the manufacturer recommends, but when you see little bubbles of glue squeezing out of the edges after it comes out of the vacuum bag, that's the right amount, sort of like when you edge glue boards.  Using too much glue, especially epoxy, invites bleed through.  

Are you sure West Systems' recommendation was for veneer work?  I saw nothing specific to veneer work in their info.  For joinery work, yes, both sides.  

John
I did find Unibond 800 comes in quarts, something I didn't know. I may try a quart of it.
I started with absolutely nothing. Now, thanks to years of hard work, careful planning, and perseverance, I find I still have most of it left.
(08-04-2024, 07:07 PM)jteneyck Wrote: I would have no qualms about doing a 5 x 5 ft table with TB II.  The glue would be spread in less than 2 minutes/side, on the substrate only, of course.  The difficult part would be flipping the thing over in order to do the other side and getting it into the vacuum bag.  

I've never used epoxy, or any glue, on both sides for flat veneer work.  As long as you apply it according to the spread rate, it bonds just fine.  What's the correct spread rate?  Start with what the manufacturer recommends, but when you see little bubbles of glue squeezing out of the edges after it comes out of the vacuum bag, that's the right amount, sort of like when you edge glue boards.  Using too much glue, especially epoxy, invites bleed through.  

Are you sure West Systems' recommendation was for veneer work?  I saw nothing specific to veneer work in their info.  For joinery work, yes, both sides.  

John

Sorry, I wasn't specific enough. 
The table wasn't a veneer top, it was 1 3/8" thick walnut boards edge glued.

As far as veneer work, if it is commercial veneer then wetting the substrate will do but I wet both sides for shop cut veneer.
I've always used TB Original and haven't had any glue creep.
Steve

Mo.

I miss the days of using my dinghy with a girlfriend too. Zack Butler-4/18/24

The Revos apparently are designed to clamp railroad ties and pull together horrifically prepared joints
WaterlooMark 02/9/2020