Washing Machine Recommendation
(08-25-2024, 08:14 PM)MstrCarpenter Wrote: If still have an avocado green model.... it's worth repairing!

I have no use for a front loader. There's no way it can clean my work clothes with 2 qt.s of water then rinse with less.

100% !
(08-25-2024, 08:26 PM)JosephP Wrote: 100% !

Really! I wish I still had that 1979 Dodge p/u. Two wheel drive, 318, "three on the tree" and when I opened the hood I knew what every part did and could swap out any of them in a half-hour or less. Of course before I opened the hood I had to make sure there wasn't a quart of water on it that would land right on the distributor!

There's substantially fewer parts on that washer.
Sign at N.E. Vocational School Cabinetmaking Shop 1976, "Free knowledge given daily... Bring your own container"
A friend of mine, as well as the last appliance repairman in my home told me appliances now are 5 years, after that, it's bonus.

He said washing machines are the worst.

We have LG front loading and they have been very dependable.

If and when they die, we'll get Speed Queens and be done with it.

When we first got married, we bought a Norge W & D, which lasted almost 20 years. Not sure that brand it around.

We have a $2600 Whirlpool fridge the door was left ajar and the fan froze up. When the guy removed the panel the fan was nothing but a computer power supply fan. One tiny piece of ice will stop it. WTH??
Mrs G got the Maytag with a 10 year warranty.
It was a lot less than the Speed Queen but, then again, it’s not a SQ!
She’s been very happy with it.
Gary

Please don’t quote the trolls.
Liberty, Freedom and Individual Responsibility
Say what you'll do and do what you say.
Another vote for Speed Queen. Bought a new Samsung because the bride liked it's looks, it was a POS and simply didn't work (Samsung offered a $200 credit against purchase of another one) and within 1 year threw it away. I had them come and take it away when they brought in the SQ. The SQ is perfect.
Credo Elvem ipsum etiam vivere
Non impediti ratione cogitationis
(08-25-2024, 08:51 PM)MstrCarpenter Wrote: Really! I wish I still had that 1979 Dodge p/u. Two wheel drive, 318, "three on the tree" and when I opened the hood I knew what every part did and could swap out any of them in a half-hour or less. Of course before I opened the hood I had to make sure there wasn't a quart of water on it that would land right on the distributor!

There's substantially fewer parts on that washer.

You knew where everything was because you had to.  Seriously, that probably still had points and condenser, and no electronic ignition or fuel injection.  Cars today run for 100,000 - 200,000 miles with little/no maintenance of the motor other than to change the oil and air filter.  No way I'd want to go back to cars of those days, despite the fun I had in a couple of them.
Built the new laundry room 7 years ago and put in Whirlpool Cabrio stuff. Mother board on the top-load washer cooked at 13 months. No help from whirlpool 1 month out of warranty. Turned out to be a common problem and a common response from Whirlpool. Mother board was $400. Didn't want to buy one every 13 months so we bought an LG front-load from Costco. Use the Costco card and they give you a 2 year warranty. We paid for the extended 5 year warranty and it was still cheaper than a new whirlpool. 6 years later, no issues with the LG washer. Not sure I would ever recommend anything other than a Speed Queen (my mom's is close to 30 years old with no issues).

All this new stuff is "High Efficiency" but all that means to me is it doesn't use a lot of water or clean well. I had to set moth the Whirlpool and the LG to "Bulky Load" to get enough water into them to really clean well.
Neil Summers Home Inspections

" What would Fred do?"

... CLETUS

I'd recommend looking at the LG WM4000HWA. It's got a great balance of performance and features, and the build quality is solid. Plus, it's known for being pretty energy-efficient. If you're after something more budget-friendly, the Whirlpool WTW5000DW is a solid option that gets the job done without breaking the bank.
I just looked up top loading Speed Queen...wow.  We paid about $800 when we bought ours. maybe 7-8 years ago. (maybe more?).

If I had to buy a new one today I'd probably still buy another Speed Queen (because of a circumstance other than this one breaking down....if it died, I'd probably not buy another because I expect more than that out of something for that price)