Replacing a Shower Valve
(08-06-2024, 02:31 PM)EightFingers Wrote: If he has the pex tools, it’s less than 30 minute job.

No plumbing job is ever a 30 minute job, even the ones that should be. I replaced a toilet last year.  it took 15 minutes to get the old toilet out and the new one in.  it took another 45 to go back to the store for a longer water supply line because the old one wasn't long enough.    

The new valve/handle assembly arrived yesterday.  Things that are different

1.  new one will need female threaded fittings to pex, current one uses male.
2.  new one will need framing to mount, old one doesn't
3.  more likely than not I need to cut a larger hole in the tile. the current  valve body is mounted to the tile and I think there's a hole cut just large enough for the valve body, but I Won't know until I take the old one off.  

there are probably things I haven't thought of.

You’re probably right. I have so many parts and tools now from all the years of plumbing I’ve done, I take that for granted.
If you want incentive to DIY, call some plumbers for bids just for fun.
VH07V  
(08-08-2024, 08:54 AM)crokett™ Wrote: No plumbing job is ever a 30 minute job, even the ones that should be. I replaced a toilet last year.  it took 15 minutes to get the old toilet out and the new one in.  it took another 45 to go back to the store for a longer water supply line because the old one wasn't long enough.    

The new valve/handle assembly arrived yesterday.  Things that are different

1.  new one will need female threaded fittings to pex, current one uses male.
2.  new one will need framing to mount, old one doesn't
3.  more likely than not I need to cut a larger hole in the tile. the current  valve body is mounted to the tile and I think there's a hole cut just large enough for the valve body, but I Won't know until I take the old one off.  

there are probably things I haven't thought of.

Can you mount the valve to new framing and then mount the framing to the studs ?  You may need to cut some tile to be able to get to everything on new valve but the new trim will cover it   Roly
(08-08-2024, 11:32 AM)Roly Wrote: Can you mount the valve to new framing and then mount the framing to the studs ?  You may need to cut some tile to be able to get to everything on new valve but the new trim will cover it   Roly

oh sure.  I mean I know how to do everything that's required.  It's not that I'm scared or anything, it's that it's plumbing and there is -always- something that bites me in the azz with plumbing.  For example, the new valve assembly is black, handle showerhead, etc.  So the pipe that sticks out of the wall for the showerhead has to come off to be replaced.  I fully expect that the current one won't come out of the drop ear without a fight and/or me cutting out more sheetrock. I would not be surprised to have to make an extra trip to HD to get a new dropear.

(08-08-2024, 01:10 PM)crokett™ Wrote: oh sure.  I mean I know how to do everything that's required.  It's not that I'm scared or anything, it's that it's plumbing and there is -always- something that bites me in the azz with plumbing.  For example, the new valve assembly is black, handle showerhead, etc.  So the pipe that sticks out of the wall for the showerhead has to come off to be replaced.  I fully expect that the current one won't come out of the drop ear without a fight and/or me cutting out more sheetrock.  I would not be surprised to have to make an extra trip to HD to get a new dropear.

Yep  the plumbing gods are the worst.  Roly
(08-08-2024, 01:10 PM)crokett™ Wrote: oh sure.  I mean I know how to do everything that's required.  It's not that I'm scared or anything, it's that it's plumbing and there is -always- something that bites me in the azz with plumbing. 

When a plumbing job goes great, I take my wife out to dinner. She's still waiting.
Much rather do electrical work. It either works or it doesn't. If it works, all is good. If it doesn't, the floor doesn't flood or a breaker trips. If I electrocute myself, what do I care? I'm dead. Nobody wants to come get a wet corpse.
Neil Summers Home Inspections

" What would Fred do?"

... CLETUS

(08-09-2024, 02:40 PM)Snipe Hunter Wrote: When a plumbing job goes great, I take my wife out to dinner. She's still waiting.
Much rather do electrical work. It either works or it doesn't. If it works, all is good. If it doesn't, the floor doesn't flood or a breaker trips. If I electrocute myself, what do I care? I'm dead. Nobody wants to come get a wet corpse.

Exactly.  when I turn a breaker off, electricity doesn't leak out of a wire after I disconnect it.  I don't have to worry about drains to get rid of waste electricity and electricity doesn't gara which way the wire is pitched in the wall.  I know that a given fixture will connect to the wiring in the house.  I don't have to worry about thread size, pitch, whether it's NPT or something else, etc.

Makes you wonder if “inside plumbing” is really worth it, everything hidden away in nearly inaccessible places waiting to break
VH07V  
(08-16-2024, 08:24 AM)crokett™ Wrote: Exactly.  when I turn a breaker off, electricity doesn't leak out of a wire after I disconnect it.  I don't have to worry about drains to get rid of waste electricity and electricity doesn't gara which way the wire is pitched in the wall.  I know that a given fixture will connect to the wiring in the house.  I don't have to worry about thread size, pitch, whether it's NPT or something else, etc.

Add a set a valves under the floor if there is space. It allows for repairs without the need to shut down the house. I replumbed the house before kids and my wife had a job that required daily showering so there are a few sets of valves that allowed for shutting things down without creating a shut down of any kind that lasted more than a few hours and even then only one device at a time
Phydeaux said "Loving your enemy and doing good for those that hurt you does not preclude killing them if they make that necessary."

Phil Thien

women have trouble understanding Trump's MAGA theme because they had so little involvement in making America great the first time around.

(08-20-2024, 04:43 AM)Bob10 Wrote: Add a set a valves under the floor if there is space. It allows for repairs without the need to shut down the house. I replumbed the house before kids and my wife had a job that required daily showering so there are a few sets of valves that allowed for shutting things down without creating a shut down of any kind that lasted more than a few hours and even then only one device at a time

I added a set of valves in the wall. They will be accessible via the access door that I will install.  I've started the drywall repair.   I watched a couple videos from a guy called Vancouver Carpenter on what not to do.  My skills don't seem to be all that much better.