I was watching Stumpy Nubs on You Tube the other night. Trust me, I take all you tubers with a grain of salt. Anyway he gave a recommendation about how well Owl bits worked and they somehow didn't have much if any blow out at the bottom of the hole

Well, I have to drill several holes by hand through the top of the work bench I am building. Anyway I checked out Amazon and I found an Owl 3/4 inch bit and the advertisement read developed for battery operated drills. So I bought one.

In a drill press it drills as clean a hole as any forester bit and is a lot easier to line up. Drills a lot fasted with less heat. Drilling through 4 inches of Ash with a 3/4 drill drill bit in a hand drill is not fun, but the Owl bit did it quite easily. Once a person gets so deep chip ejection became a problem and the drill has to be remover about every 1/2 inch for chip removal.

I do not impress easily but the owl bits impressed me enough to order a set of 7, 3/8ths through 1 1/4. They will replace the forstner bits of that size in my shop. 

I thought I would pass along that I really like the Owl bits,  And for what it is worth, I would recommend that you try one.

Tom

Tom   , thanks for the review.  I had seen that episode, but I do take what I see on Youtube with a grain or two of salt.
Tom

I haven’t seen his video.
Are these the WoodOwl bits made in Japan or Owl Tools drill bits?
Gary

Please don’t quote the trolls.
Liberty, Freedom and Individual Responsibility
Say what you'll do and do what you say.

(10-18-2024, 05:38 PM)Gary G™ Wrote: Tom

I haven’t seen his video.
Are these the WoodOwl bits made in Japan or Owl Tools drill bits?
The first bit I bought was an actual Owl bit  I stayed with the actual brand Owl bits. In this case I think the actual Owl brand in the way to go. I have now drilled about 13  3/4 dia. holes through 4 inches of Ash, Went through and only had 1 battery to charge. Actually 2 recharged when finished. I did them with a battery powered drill.

I prefer them over Forstner bits. and I have yet to see any discoloration of heat on the bit.

I like them very much. My preferred choice over auger bits .

Tom
These?:

https://www.leevalley.com/en-us/shop/too...drive-bits
Gary

Please don’t quote the trolls.
Liberty, Freedom and Individual Responsibility
Say what you'll do and do what you say.

(10-19-2024, 02:31 PM)Gary G™ Wrote: These?:

https://www.leevalley.com/en-us/shop/too...drive-bits

Yes

Tom
Owl drill bits