#10
  
Looking for recommendations for least noxious/toxic mineral spirits.  Alternatively, experience with Real Milk Paint’s “Citrus Solvent,” or similar nontoxic product.
Reply

#11
  Solvents ChuckL2 Looking for recommen...
(06-10-2021, 04:54 AM)ChuckL2 Wrote: Looking for recommendations for least noxious/toxic mineral spirits.  Alternatively, experience with Real Milk Paint’s “Citrus Solvent,” or similar nontoxic product.

Look up the safety data sheet for Real Milk Paint’s “Citrus Solvent" see if that meets your definition of non toxic in the area toxins you are concerned with.  Any solvent is toxic in some areas.   Any of those solvents that replace mineral spirits may cause problems with different paints.  Suggest making a sample and try it on scrap first.   Roly
Reply
#12
  Solvents ChuckL2 Looking for recommen...
Of all the commonly used solvents, acetone is supposed to be the least dangerous.  Some people have an allergy to acetone, but if that is not your problem, it is relatively safe.

I don't know if it is suitable for your use though.

Here is a list of the 10 safest solvents:  https://cool.culturalheritage.org/byorg/...9-107.html
No animals were injured or killed in the production of this post.
Reply

#13
  RE: Solvents Cooler Of all the commonly ...
(06-15-2021, 03:51 PM)Cooler Wrote: Of all the commonly used solvents, acetone is supposed to be the least dangerous.  Some people have an allergy to acetone, but if that is not your problem, it is relatively safe.

I don't know if it is suitable for your use though.

Here is a list of the 10 safest solvents:  https://cool.culturalheritage.org/byorg/...9-107.html

"Dilution is the cure for pollution."  I think that's why all the solvents say use with adequate ventilation.  Methanol is possibly toxic with just skin absorption.  Read the labels, as some denatured alcohols are high in methanol. 

"Methanol is toxic by two mechanisms. First, methanol (whether it enters the body by ingestion, inhalation, or absorption through the skin) can be fatal due to its CNS depressant properties in the same manner as ethanol poisoning."  

On the upside, the treatment is to administer ethyl alcohol....

Explosion of air, acetone mixture - YouTube
Better to follow the leader than the pack. Less to step in.
Reply

#14
  RE: Solvents MichaelMouse [quote='Cooler' pid=...
(06-17-2021, 11:05 AM)MichaelMouse Wrote: "Dilution is the cure for pollution."  I think that's why all the solvents say use with adequate ventilation.  Methanol is possibly toxic with just skin absorption.  Read the labels, as some denatured alcohols are high in methanol. 

"Methanol is toxic by two mechanisms. First, methanol (whether it enters the body by ingestion, inhalation, or absorption through the skin) can be fatal due to its CNS depressant properties in the same manner as ethanol poisoning."  

On the upside, the treatment is to administer ethyl alcohol....

Explosion of air, acetone mixture - YouTube

You probably have to submerge yourself (or a part of yourself) in methanol in order to absorb a dangerous dose.  It evaporates so fast that it is hard to imagine simple contact being hazardous.
Reply
#15
  Solvents ChuckL2 Looking for recommen...
Dilution can work the reverse.


One of the disinfectants that are being recommended to kill the Covid virus is 60 - 65 percent alcohol for a minimum exposure of 20 seconds. 

Surprisingly 90% alcohol is not recommended.  Why?  Because it evaporates so fast that the 20-second exposure is problematic. It seems counterintuitive. But that is the case.
No animals were injured or killed in the production of this post.
Reply
#16
  Solvents ChuckL2 Looking for recommen...
70% Isopropanol is used as a common disinfectant. The reason for the 70% not 100% is not due to the exposure time but due to desiccating the organisms and preserving them instead of killing them. But mow we are getting off topic.

Back on topic a bit. There are many ways to "denature" ethanol. All of these are just to make people not drink it to get around taxes. The stuff I have been getting from Lowes is more like methanol with some ethanol added. Not necessarily the healthiest. I have changed to this. It is 95% ethanol with only the remaining bound water. They then add a small amount of an agent that makes you nauseous. I have not had any problems spraying but one day after wiping on some shellac dissolved in this without a glove on I didn't feel well for a couple hours.
Reply
Solvents


Forum Jump:


Users browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Product Recommendations

Here are some supplies and tools we find essential in our everyday work around the shop. We may receive a commission from sales referred by our links; however, we have carefully selected these products for their usefulness and quality.