Does anyone use them?  Do they cut down on sanding time?  I currently don't have a scraper, at least a decent one. I have one that I reground out of an old skew chisel but it doesn't really work well and it's too small for bowls.  I also have a carbide tool with a 1/2" round bit, but it doesn't work that well trying to use it as a scraper.  I am hoping with a proper bowl scraper I can level out the cuts left by the bowl gouge and be able to skip the first few sanding grits.

The bowl scraper is a huge help to me.  For me, I have to scrape as I go.  Thin, unsupported walls do not scrape well.  Reground skew is what I have.
"I tried being reasonable..........I didn't like it." Clint Eastwood

(01-21-2023, 08:25 AM)Bill Holt Wrote: The bowl scraper is a huge help to me.  For me, I have to scrape as I go.  Thin, unsupported walls do not scrape well.  Reground skew is what I have.

I found this excellent video from Robo Hippy. I think he used to be a member here:

WEAPONS OF MASS DESTRUCTION FOR BOWLS: SCRAPERS by Reed Gray aka Robo Hippy - YouTube

After watching this I will invest in a proper scraper or two at some point.

(01-21-2023, 09:56 AM)crokett™ Wrote: I found this excellent video from Robo Hippy. I think he used to be a member here:

WEAPONS OF MASS DESTRUCTION FOR BOWLS: SCRAPERS by Reed Gray aka Robo Hippy - YouTube

After watching this I will invest in a proper scraper or two at some point.

I was lucky when robo hippy gave us his scrappers to use.  They stay sharp a whole lot longer then normal scrappers and when turned on the side they do shear scrapping as well.

If I was to buy some they would be well worth the price.
As of this time I am not teaching vets to turn. Also please do not send any items to me without prior notification.  Thank You Everyone.

It is always the right time, to do the right thing.
(01-21-2023, 08:25 AM)Bill Holt Wrote: The bowl scraper is a huge help to me.  For me, I have to scrape as I go.  Thin, unsupported walls do not scrape well.  Reground skew is what I have.

Larger bowls with thinner walls I step turn.  I do the outside, then when I hollow the inside I step down the wall and from the rim and get each section down to finished thickness before moving on.  It helps cut way down on chatter.

I use scrapers. I have a really thick big sorby I love using.

Robo did. It's been awhille. Wonder how he is doing

(01-21-2023, 08:21 PM)Wipedout Wrote: I use scrapers. I have a really thick big sorby I love using.

Robo did. It's been awhille. Wonder how he is doing

I don't know.  His last video on his Youtube channel was 4 years ago.

(01-21-2023, 08:21 PM)Wipedout Wrote: I use scrapers. I have a really thick big sorby I love using.

I don't do many bowls, but a good scraper is not a bad thing. 

I've been thinking about getting that big Sorby, but the Hurricane looks good at about half the price. I don't have that brand so I don't know if they are good or crap.
Robo Hippy retired

https://forums.woodnet.net/showthread.php?tid=7366535
(01-20-2023, 11:09 AM)crokett™ Wrote: Does anyone use them?  Do they cut down on sanding time?  I currently don't have a scraper, at least a decent one. I have one that I reground out of an old skew chisel but it doesn't really work well and it's too small for bowls.  I also have a carbide tool with a 1/2" round bit, but it doesn't work that well trying to use it as a scraper.  I am hoping with a proper bowl scraper I can level out the cuts left by the bowl gouge and be able to skip the first few sanding grits.

I use them all the time. Matter of fact I use scrapers more than any other tool. I start shear cutting with it as I near finished bottom
Bowl Scrapers