Design Question - Will this topple?
I cannot seem to visualize a 40"x58" top sewing station.

When discussing stability, you need to consider the case when all 4 wheels are offset toward the 18" direction. With 3" wheels, that seems like the minimum base is ~14". We have put various cabinets and bookshelves on rolling bases. It taught us to be careful about which way the casters are rotated when we put the cabinet/bookcase in place. A 6' tall bookcase or cabinet on an 18" or 20" deep base requires awareness when we move them.

I would highly recommend double-locking casters for the 2 wheels towards the seated sewer. The ones that WC sells seem to hold up well and they go on sale fairly often.

WC and Rockler (among others) carry these folding shelf brackets in several sizes.

I picked up some for adding an outboard shelf to my SS power station (for running the strip sander in sharpening mode). Using them would eliminate the need to store braces when the shelves are folded down.
"the most important safety feature on any tool is the one between your ears." - Ken Vick

A wish for you all:  May you keep buying green bananas.
I just want to reiterate what iclark said.  When you add casters it doesn't matter what the outside dimensions of the base are because the base is not what is in contact with the floor.  It only matters how far apart the part of the casters that touch the floor are which will be less tan the base size. With a 3" caster you will likely lose about 1 1/2" from each side of the base for a total of 3" less than your base dimension.
Why would we place the sewing machine towards the front vs in the middle?

Because you want to be close to the sewing machine while using it. Look up any photo of someone using a sewing machine and they always have them really close. On top of that you will have a vertical pulse every time the needle goes down. I've used a sewing machine on a pedestal dining table. It sucks. Lots of vibration.

Now, if she wants to use the sewing machine with the leaves folded in that would work. But then I'm assuming that she wants the expanded surface for laying out patterns, cutting fabric, etc. Which would work great, right up until you lean on the edge of the table to reach something in the middle, or are using a rotary cutter (which requires you to push down). I'd think I'd want gateway legs if I'm doing something like this.

A mockup might help get the point across/test this.

Set 2 sawhorses 24” apart. Lay a pice of plywood on them so it overhangs 15” just like your wing would be. Set a few heavy objects on the ply between the sawhorses. Push down on the outside edge of the wing and see how easy the ply lifts and stuff slides towards you.
Blackhat

Bad experiences come from poor decisions. So do good stories. 

(06-16-2024, 10:20 AM)bpatters69 Wrote: Hello All,

I have a friend who asked me to build her a sewing station on wheels. I would post a picture of the design but its basically a box (like everything we do) that has the following measurements:

18" Wide x 33" Height x 40" Long

I plan to buy 3" casters so the cart will be mobile. This makes the total height 33" + 3" or 36"

Also, she wants a solid wood top that has 18" leafs which can be opened and supported by arms that get stored in the top when not in use.

So we would potentially have an 18" + 18" + 18" top on a 18" base that is 36" high.

I think we need a wider base.... 

Your thoughts?

Thanks, Bill

Bill, a stand for a sewing machine is essentially a desk, not a bookcase-type structure. This means that when you sit in front of the machine, you need a place to stretch your legs. In other words you need a box on legs. If so, either make the construction deeper, as discussed, or splay the legs.

I built this sewing table for my wife. It is mainly used without a machine, but she has used a machine in the top ...

[Image: Final3.jpg]

[Image: Final10.jpg]

Regards from Perth

Derek
Articles on furniture building, shop made tools and tool reviews at www.inthewoodshop.com