Next Project?
Aww, you're killing me Bandit: What did you decide to make?

All I know so far is that it's got four legs, aprons and its shaping up to be Shaker-style..maybe.

Also, tell me about your combination square shown in one of the pictures.

-Mark
If I had a signature, this wouldn't be it.
Shaker Style Sofa Table...

Which square?   there have been 3 at least in use...

This 6" Swanson?
Or..

This 4" Speed Square?

There is also a 12" Starrett Combo in the area...somewhere..
Show me a picture, I'll build a project from that
Pipe clamps have been removed....but I am leaving the cauls in place, for now....

Laid a couple legs down on the table's top...and measured to see how long to cut the end Aprons....8" counting a 1/2" long tenon on each end...

Will need to measure for the stretchers, next trip to the shop...

How long the front and back aprons will be?  Depends on how long the top will wind up as......

Intend to build the ends of the base, first...then connect them with the front and rear aprons...

Stay tuned...film @ 2300 hrs, I hope..
One end has been trimmed square..

Measure from there 50"...reset the saw guide..

Guide is for this "Trim Saw" to follow..

Skil Saw, Home Shop...no plastic used..

Rotate blank 90 degrees...

Clean up and flatten, and sand smooth a Show Face..flip the blank over
The "Before"..

And the "After" ( about 15 minutes)

Set this aside, for now..need the tablesaw for a little bit..

Need to mill tenons on all the apron ends..
Then back to the bench, for the rest of the day...

Faces needed smooth and flat...then..

A bead was milled along the bottom edge of each apron...

So..repeat for the Long Aprons,, then clamp the bow out of them, and sit them aside...

Later today, need to reset the Mortise Jig from 3/4" width to 1-1/2" width...and start chopping Mortises..

Stay tuned...
One jaw on the Mortise Jig had a split...decided since I need to move one of the jaws...might as well replace that one..

Clamp the Jig, a leg blank and the new jaw in the vise...predrill for 2 screws, and counter-sink them...then..

Installed on the bench.  Sits right on top of the bench's leg...slide the leg blank into the jig, and do the mortise lay out..

Stanley No. 77 Mortise gauge to help out...then slide back into the jig, and proceed to chop down about 3/4" deep..

A wide chisel to pare the side walls, until I get a mallet driven fit..

Repeat for Mortise #2..for the other end of that short apron..dry fit..

2 mortises done...only 6 more to do...half of the 90 minute shop time involved fixing the Mortise Jig...the rest was to chop 2 mortises...

Debate is now whether to head back to the shop after supper, and see IF I can chop a couple more...Narex 6mm mortise chisel, then pare the sides for fit...
Stay tuned..
I must be getting slow in me Dotage...25 minutes to chop a mortise?
Start here..

making sure I am working on the correct mortise..

Do a lay out...slide the leg into the jig..and clamp it, Jed..

Lay out a few tools...and start chopping away...

Once the mortise is deep enough..check to see how the tenon fits...

Take a break..

Then repeat for the other tenon....until a full dry fit..

Ends of the table's base are done...no glue, yet...still have these 2 needing Mortises..

And the legs don't fit the jig when an apron is in the way...

Let these two sit here..

Until the next trip to the shop...only 4 more Mortises to go...

Stay tuned..
(07-24-2024, 04:06 PM)bandit571 Wrote: Do a lay out...slide the leg into the jig..and clamp it, Jed..

Old enough to get that one.  Nice!

I did two small mortices myself, today. Not nearly as involved as yours.  And I drilled them first, before cleaning up with the chisels.

I sure hope I remember the clamping next time--didn't today.
Almost chopped the wrong spot...good thing I always double check layouts...

Goal was to get the last 4 mortises chopped in ONE shop session...and get the way too fat tenons on the long aprons to fit into the mortises..enough that I could do a full dry fit....once I found long enough clamps..

Find 3 sticks..

One on each end, notched around the legs...one in the center to be "let in" the inside of the long aprons....these will be where the top will get attach at..
Until then..this mess needs a place to sit...out of the way..in case a Laundry Hamper decides to roll by...

Just a simple little table....

Stay tuned...
Very nice. It has a nice delicate look to it.
Roh..Kay..Raggy...Laundry Detail, yesterday afternoon....Might as well hang out in the shop...

Removed everything above the aprons...needed to cut & fit 2 "Brackets"..

And preset a few more clamps

Then..knock everything apart, and let the glue up ( and the cussing) begin..

Both ends first...glue and clamps...then try to add the long aprons....slid a cleaned off tablesaw out to where I could use it...as an assembly table, and get the long clamps installed...with a big assist from the mallet...

Add the brackets with glue and clamps...lots of clamps..with the main clamps drawing things tighter, I needed to trim the brackets just a hair...after I had already spread glue on them...
Upset

Not a whole lot of room to work in, today...

Will let this mess sit a day or three...then see about adding the center bracket..

Either let in with Mortise & Tenons, or just a dovetail?  Then decide on how the ends of the top will look....maybe cut a slight radius..(-----) or just round the sharp corners a bit...going to be just over 5" of over hang to work with..
Stay tuned...