The new Mikiespace - 40X64X16 Pole Barn
So this is a second shop for me. Shy of now my sawstop is in the new shop, the other shop still has all working and functional tools to make the cnc projects I sell. Timing for completing it is as I get and make the time.

Budget. I never started out saying this is exactly the amount of money for a completed shop. I knew what I needed to get my "infrastructure" in and built. Shy of that structure/shell and concrete ($29K and $9K) everything else I have paid cash for. Using money from selling cnc and other wood and metal projects or using my tool slush fund money I have been able to not incur any debt. What that means is I buy as I can afford and pay cash for and I "stair step" the purchases over the time. Another benefit of doing this work myself over a long time period. I also find stupid crazy deals and that helps. Research pays off, having cash, and the ability to hop in a truck and instantly drive. Even the electrical, two years before starting the build I was researching my local PoCo guidelines and learned what equipment I needed and started sourcing those boxes online and started a stock pile. Also I have just flat out lucked out on a few big things - insulation under floor and the plywood were two huge ones. Lots of ways to do this cheap. But I live by - do it the way you want and don't sacrifice. You are only cheating yourself. I

Eventually I will have to buy insulation for the ceiling and eventually I want a mezzanine. That and how I do my ductwork (on top of all I have bought so far) will add some cost but really I dont have large purchases waiting that I can digest over time - that I realize yet anyway.

The shop is as nice and costs as much as I allow is all. Not a model for a business for sure but that is not what I am building so I am good.

Glad its my shop I am responsible for - I only have to make me happy.

A buddy gave me his CNC 5'X5' router earlier this year as he lost his shop a couple years ago. His machine is on casters and is mobile. I am getting it running in the new shed to cut slat outlet box holes. I needed to attach the controller and computer to it as he had them sitting on a side table when he ran the machine at his shop. I cut two lengths of 15 series 8020 with a non-ferrous blade on my SCMS, and CNC milled 13/16" holes for 8020 anchors to mount them flush on my knee mill. There is a video of that linked.

Here are the two rails installed on the machine, the CNC Gecko G540 controller cabinet installed on those two rails, and I also installed an Ergotron monitor arm on the front and a touchscreen monitor.

[Image: cnc2_zpskzpvtxfv.jpg]

Computer case mount done

[Image: IMG_20161119_143205_zpsl3vt6wya.jpg]

[Image: IMG_20161119_143247_zpspzpc7tvc.jpg]

Lily helped me get the sliding keyboard shelf installed on this CNC router.

[Image: IMG_00007_BURST20161119203834_zpsxdyk24hm.jpg]

[Image: IMG_20161119_204204_zpskdtg4pvl.jpg]

[Image: IMG_20161119_205055_zpsuzn9a5bn.jpg]

always enjoy getting caught up on the progress.

do you have an overview of your planned layout?
My Day Job
well, bye.
Here is my tentative layout. North west is metal, north east is the mezzanine and cnc and paint area, sanding and bandsaws north middle, south is planer jointer and tablesaw all with 16' in and out, south west clamp rack and fridge microwave, south east the big shaper. Just some ideas. 14' center is open for a drive through for vehicles and trailers and tractor/forks.

[Image: shop%20layout%201_zps31oct2hi.jpg]

Where is the bathroom, shower, fire place and recliner???
Heck I would just live in there with that!!!! Oh micro wave, coffee pot and mini frig, grill outside!!
KNOWLEDGE AND EXPERIENCE EQUALS WISDOM. RMB
The SO asked me today, "what are you going to do to day"? I said "nothing".  She said, "that's what you did yesterday"! Me, "Yes love, but I was not finished yet"!!!!!!!!
Smirk

Where is the lumber storage? Normally, one wants to grab a board and set it down on the jointer or else the cut to length saw. Minimum travel from there to TS and Planer. Do not lug boards all over that place.
Thanks,  Curt
-----------------
"Life can only be understood backwards; but it must be lived forwards."
      -- Soren Kierkegaard
its exactly as you said. Right now I will keep lumber in the south wall west of the middle entry door by the chopsaw and jointer area. The majority of my hardwood stock will be where it is now on racks in the existing shop too but I have a ton of area in this new shed with 16' tall walls and the ability to have wood racks about anywhere. Wood is also in the 3rd bay of attached garage.

Red Oak Ply I use constantly on the CNCs will be located near the cnc on pallets. I keep plywood blanks I routinely use.

I will also have an area for aluminum and other metal stock over by the metal tools.

Recliners I have!! There is a microwave and fullsize fridge and grill is outside and I have a spare stove that I will put in there.

No running water but will have a gravity/pump powered sink to wash hands.

No toilet as I use the great outdoors for anything not requiring a throne. The girls go inside.

No shower.

Not a lot I have not thought about after learning from all your builds here and on smc and garagejournal.

Several folks like my under garage door theater screen idea and are now installing those as well.

Seems to me with the theater and more people than just family a bathroom needs to be added eventually.
Phydeaux said "Loving your enemy and doing good for those that hurt you does not preclude killing them if they make that necessary."

Phil Thien

women have trouble understanding Trump's MAGA theme because they had so little involvement in making America great the first time around.