Help Cutting Slot with Drill Press
Hello,
I need to cut a 1/4 inch wide slot x 2 inches long x 3/4 inch deep in wood.  I have a drill press and an x-y vice and it seems there should be a way to use a traditional milling machine  bit in the DP to do this...  would appreciate advice on whether this seems reasonable and if so, which bit to buy that can be chucked into the DP-
Thanks in advance,
Israel
Put a 1/4" drill bit in the chuck.  Start at one end.  Drill a hole.  Move the X/Y vice 1/2".  Drill another hole, repeat for the length.  Now go back 1/4 inch and start drilling out the "in between" sections that were left.  Continue moving back by 1/2", repeating the "in between" removal.

Without moving the X/Y vice, put in a 1/4 mill.  Drop the mill into the material and use the X/Y vice to move the material, to smooth the edges.

The Drill Press does not have the bearings needed to use as a mill.  Doing this on a rare occasion is OK.  Removing most of the material before milling is the way to go.
I tried not believing.  That did not work, so now I just believe
Do you own a router? Use that instead.

Glad its my shop I am responsible for - I only have to make me happy.

Thanks...didn't realize the DP didn't have the bearings needed.  I can probably do this with a router...DP would have been a bit more convenient, but router will do.
Thanks again for the advice!
The cut will be sooo much nicer than a endmill in a DP or starting with drills.

Glad its my shop I am responsible for - I only have to make me happy.

Yeah drill presses don't have bearings that handle side loading well... I've done something similar with an upcut spiral router but taking suuuuper light cuts and it worked OK. You could also do it with forstner bits and many many overlapping holes. But yeah, a router and straight edge is best.
Benny

(07-28-2016, 03:39 PM)Israel Wrote: Hello,
I need to cut a 1/4 inch wide slot x 2 inches long x 3/4 inch deep in wood.  I have a drill press and an x-y vice and it seems there should be a way to use a traditional milling machine  bit in the DP to do this...  would appreciate advice on whether this seems reasonable and if so, which bit to buy that can be chucked into the DP-
Thanks in advance,
Israel

As mentioned a DP spindle and chuck are not made for lateral loads. You can use your DP if you take light cuts,less than 3/16" . You can use  straight router bit or an end mill.Center cutting end mills with a 3/8" shank and 1/4" diameter and 3/4" depth is what you need. Might have a problem finding an end mill that will cut 3/4" deep in 1/4" diameter in HSS. Plenty in carbide. Much easier to find a router bit with the size you need.
If this is for only 1 or 2 slots I would use the DP.
A friend of mine is a model maker, he used to work for Rohm & Haas making piping models before he retired.He made a yoke that clamps to the DP spindle and also holds a laminate router for a small version of an over head router.Perfect for narrow slotting if this is something used often.

mike
(07-28-2016, 04:17 PM)Cecil Wrote: Put a 1/4" drill bit in the chuck.  Start at one end.  Drill a hole.  Move the X/Y vice 1/2".  Drill another hole, repeat for the length.  Now go back 1/4 inch and start drilling out the "in between" sections that were left.  Continue moving back by 1/2", repeating the "in between" removal.

Without moving the X/Y vice, put in a 1/4 mill.  Drop the mill into the material and use the X/Y vice to move the material, to smooth the edges.

The Drill Press does not have the bearings needed to use as a mill.  Doing this on a rare occasion is OK.  Removing most of the material before milling is the way to go.

Has anyone ever seen a drill press with worn out bearings from side loading? I think this is one of those tales that has been said so many times it has become gospel.
That being said, I agree a drill press is not made for the side loads machining metal or removing large swaths of wood can create. I see the weak link as the fact a drill press has a shallow taper holding the chuck on and no drawbar to keep it there. That and a lack of rigidity in the head can make for a poor cut at best and a chuck and bit that come loose and go spinning across the shop like a flesh eating-spinning top at worst.
Proud maker of large quantities of sawdust......oh, and the occasional project!
(07-31-2016, 07:21 AM)Cecil Wrote: ... Wrote: The Drill Press does not have the bearings needed to use as a mill.  Doing this on a rare occasion is OK.  ...
Kyle Wrote:

... That and a lack of rigidity in the head ...

Yep, like we said, a DP does not have the bearings for that.
I tried not believing.  That did not work, so now I just believe
Drill each end and a couple holes in the middle and clean it up with a sharp chisel.
WoodNET... the new safespace