Fluorscent to LED lighting transition
Yes, to reiterate, 1650 lumens is not much. I also from 5 (color temp) in the shop. Anything less than that is too yellow for me. But that's a personal choice.

I wanted to doubleheck something else in the thread. The LED tubes will work with the OLD MAGNETIC ballasts and NOT the newer electronic ballasts? I have no experience but that seems counterintuitive to me...and also unfortunate since all my fixtures have electronic ballasts.
-Marc

Appreciate the thoughts.  Looks like these are just not worth the upgrade given the low lumens rating.  Do you have suggestions (i.e., links) for more high powered tubes?
I'm no electrical expert, but my eyes definitely appreciate the improved lighting that resulted when I replaced my 48" fluorescent tubes with LEDs from Costco. If  I had it to do over again, I most certainly would. If ballast problems develop in the future, I will" cross that bridge when I get there".
Sorry, might to say K was for color.

Bob
Here are the 2 LEDs I bought from Menards a BORG store in the Midwest. The reason I bought 2 different ones was different light/lumen needs in the area.
https://www.menards.com/main/lighting-ce...7756661379
That on is in a dark area and gives off more light then the twin tube 48" T32 I had there and the tubes were not burnt out and getting dimmer, as they do in time.

https://www.menards.com/main/lighting-ce...4187397745
That one replaced a real old 48" twin tube with T 8s in it that were old and magnetic ballast, happy as a stud in clover with it also.
KNOWLEDGE AND EXPERIENCE EQUALS WISDOM. RMB
The SO asked me today, "what are you going to do to day"? I said "nothing".  She said, "that's what you did yesterday"! Me, "Yes love, but I was not finished yet"!!!!!!!!
Smirk

(10-26-2016, 07:40 PM)MikeBob Wrote: Here are the 2 LEDs I bought from Menards a BORG store in the Midwest. The reason I bought 2 different ones was different light/lumen needs in the area.
https://www.menards.com/main/lighting-ce...7756661379
That on is in a dark area and gives off more light then the twin tube 48" T32 I had there and the tubes were not burnt out and getting dimmer, as they do in time.

https://www.menards.com/main/lighting-ce...4187397745
That one replaced a real old 48" twin tube with T 8s in it that were old and magnetic ballast, happy as a stud in clover with it also.

Mike,

Thanks for the information.  Unfortunately, we don't have Menards in CA, but I will look at some other options.  This explains the such low price for those that I saw at Costco.
(10-26-2016, 09:39 PM)wrb Wrote: Mike,

Thanks for the information.  Unfortunately, we don't have Menards in CA, but I will look at some other options.  This explains the such low price for those that I saw at Costco.

My bro lives near Stockton, has a HD there, I am sure they have something comparable.  I think in the long run a few $ more but the true thing and more lumens, and no ballast BS in the future.
Shoot, just to HD site, no bargains there on LED shop lights. Maybe go to my site I posted, Menards and have them shipped to you.
KNOWLEDGE AND EXPERIENCE EQUALS WISDOM. RMB
The SO asked me today, "what are you going to do to day"? I said "nothing".  She said, "that's what you did yesterday"! Me, "Yes love, but I was not finished yet"!!!!!!!!
Smirk

I just replaced all my 4 foot fluorescents with LEDs.

I have 9 fixtures in my basement, 7 in my shop and 2 in the unfinished/storage part of the basement.

I initially bought two LED bulbs (one fixture's worth) of each of the following to compare:
- 16 watt, 1,700 lumens, 5,000K (Color temp) - Home depot ($19.97 each)
- 18 watt, 2,000 lumens, 5,000K - EarthLED.com ($10.49 each)
- 22 watt, 2,400 lumens, 4,000K - EarthLED.com ($12.99 each)

I used a an app on my cellphone that measures light (lumens) and held it at a constant work surface height to compare the different bulbs.
- As expected, the higher lumen bulbs put more light on my work surfaces (table saw, band saw, jointer, workbench, etc.)
- I also considered the color reproduction from the different color temps.
  -- I thought the 5,000K bulbs produced more accurate color, but I also thought they were a bit harsher on my eyes.

In the end I selected the 22 watt, 2,400 lumens, 4K bulbs, ordered more and put them in my shop and put the other bulbs in the unfinished part of my basement.

The reason that I switched to LEDs is because I got tired of bulbs going out, going dim, humming, etc. 
Angry
I also wanted to lower the amperage draw on that circuit (they're all on the same circuit) - so the new LED bulbs lowered the current draw by 2.3 amps (its a 15 amp circuit with two outlets on it in addition to the light fixtures).

FYI: I had to remove the ballast and rewire all the fixtures since the LED bulbs require direct 120 volt (not hard to rewire, but it required taking down  the fixtures, rewiring, then remounting them - not that difficult, but a bit more work). 
- I believe they make LED bulbs that will work in ballast'd fixtures, but I didn't want to do that for several reasons.

Hope my recent experience will be of help to you. 
Smile
(10-26-2016, 05:34 PM)wrb Wrote: Appreciate the thoughts.  Looks like these are just not worth the upgrade given the low lumens rating.  Do you have suggestions (i.e., links) for more high powered tubes?

I have two types of fixtures after the remodel.

The old fixtures (25years old btw) are the standard 8' T12 tubes.  I use the 75 watt bulbs they work much better than the 60.  The ballasts are rated for 60 my electrician told me I could run the 75's and so far after a couple years I've had no problems.  The bulbs are getting quite expensive as the ballasts go out I plan to replace them with double 4' T8's.

The new fixtures are 8' (2x4') with 4' T8 bulbs they work just as well as the 8' 75 watts.  This is what I think you would be best to use.

I recently installed an 8' (2x4') T5 in my studio and it gives off great light.

I thought about LED's but the bottom line for me was I don't think the amount of time the lights burn can give me a return on investment.  However, as the price of flourescent tubes keep going up, the cost ratio will close.

Hope this helps.
Any chance of offering a wiring schematic of the wiring change if you remove trhe ballast ?