Hammer and Anvil
Have him try 2 pieces of 2" black steel pipe about 2' long together. Easier to transport than an anvil.
Blackhat

Bad experiences come from poor decisions. So do good stories. 

I believe he already has the anvil.

Blaine
Then try a piece of pipe as a striker.
Blackhat

Bad experiences come from poor decisions. So do good stories. 

How about a common ball peen hammer, they are made to strike metal.     A carpenters hammer may chip as it is not made to hit harder metals other than nails.  Don't think an anvil will chip.  Roly
I wondered about a ball peen.  I think to get the biggest sound, he'd need one that's fairly large?  I'll look for one of those.

I also wonder about the 2-pound sledge I have.  Is that hard enough or is it also brittle?  I know I've hit metal with it.

Interesting thing is that percussionists want a certain tone with their "instruments", whatever they are.  Even the non-tuned drums are tuned in a big orchestra - crazy as that sounds.  You can tighten the skins on 'em to change their tone.

Blaine
(10-30-2016, 04:04 PM)blackhat Wrote: Then try a piece of pipe as a striker.

I'll look into that, too.  A big piece might give a more interesting sound.  
Yes

I think this high school still has a shop in it.  They might have the pipe sitting around which will eliminate costs, too.

Blaine
(10-30-2016, 05:20 PM)Blaine Wrote: I also wonder about the 2-pound sledge I have.  Is that hard enough or is it also brittle?  I know I've hit metal with it.

That is probably a single jack.  Perhaps a bit on the light side if it is indeed only 2 lbs, but probably intended for pretty much the same job.
Use a hammer and an anvil; and when I nod my head you hit.
Dodgy