Strangers In My Shop
I don't loan tools, unless it is a screwdriver or something simple, nor do I let anyone use my power tools if I feel they are not experienced enough with them, nor does anyone go in my shop without me. If they are with me in the shop (And they are certainly welcome) I make sure and say "Your welcome to use it, but clean it and put it back where you got it"! I'm not shy when it comes to the tools, and sparing feelings just means it is me who is going to get ripped- Been there and done that for the last time years ago.
Seems like you need to have a calm discussion with those who may be respectfully taking tools and shops owners for granite. I hold people responsible for what they do- too many people don't do that these days is why we have some problems.
Guard dogs, really menacing ones
Laugh
Laugh
Laugh
Laugh
Worst thing they can do is cook ya and eat ya

GW
Neither a borrower nor a lender be.
These are words to live by.

I never lend any tools. I had a neighbor move in awhile back & wanted to borrow my Channelocks. I told them Lowes up the road sells them all day long.
Everything has a place and everything in it's place.
Do I hear an Amen?

Jim
Jim
The worst is when you wander around looking for the tape measure that you are holding in your hand.....
Be thankful. Really.
Yes 

You have real humans to blame.

I have ghosts. And Hermie(the family poltergeist).

I have a pencil for the table saw. One for the work bench. One for the router table. And one at the far end of my shop. Plus a tape at the saw and one for the bench.

Yesterday, three of the four pencils were on the saw, one tape was at the far end of the shop(I never need one there), and the second tape was in the store room(found after 20 or so search minutes.

I have not worked in the shop since last Wednesday.
Raised
Drives me NUTS when I can't find a tool.  I too, have a place for everything.  Not just the shop, but the kitchen, bathroom, etc.  I got married last year.  SWMBO's a bit on the ADD side.  She'll borrow stuff, then just leaves it anywhere.  She knows it's "somewhere in the house" but doesn't seem to have the sense of urgency that "somewhere in the house" still means it's not available for use.  Shoot, she can't even find her cell phone half the time. I love her dearly, but some days I have to take a break and chill out.
Still Learning,

Allan Hill
Seldom happens, but guest in the shop have been a joy for me.  However, the guest may become a distraction and that is when I find myself searching for something that turns out to be right under my nose.

Last Friday, a father and his 13 year old son spent the day with me.  They were making a Christmas present for his wife.  All three of us had a great time.  We may have wasted 2 minutes looking for a drill bit that was already in the drill.  My age may have the been the real problem.
"I tried being reasonable..........I didn't like it." Clint Eastwood
I have a designated spot in front of my toolbox-I tell anyone who uses any of my tools to put it back there.
It's quicker for me to grab it all and put it away, at one time-AND I know it's where it belongs.
That has worked well for me for over 20 years.
(12-18-2016, 09:21 PM)Bob10 Wrote: Need pants with pockets or a tool belt.  No reason to be losing either of those tools in a room.  I buy the Duluth trading carpenter jeans for the pockets to a large degree I like the extra ballroom too

I was wearing a tyvek suit, so no pockets. And I was using those two tools to make a mess, so it compounded the problem.  Not sure why there was so much fiberglass dust from just moving the insulation a little, but it was really bad. Maybe I should wear an apron on top. I do tend to get a bit scattered when I'm working.