Old Screws, ETC.
My Father never threw anything away.  He passed at age 90 back in 2011.  There have been 3 large totes full of old screws, nails and misc. hardware sitting in my shop getting in the way since then.  This morning I started to go through them and salvage anything that I thought had value to me.  Not too much worth saving.

It occurred to me that there may be woodworker out there who refurbishes antiques or does reproductions that might have a use for old straight slotted wood screws, etc.  If anyone has any interest please let me know via Private Message.  I don't want anything for them.  I just would hate to toss something that another woodworker might have a use for.  Let me know.
Mike

If you're the smartest person in the room, you're in the wrong room!

But not today...
I have a bin on the work top to hold all old screws and "stuff" I remove from old "stuff". They do come in handy.

I was missing a couple of old round head pins for some old hinges in the old house- I had one, but had to make the other. Had the screw that went into the old glass knob on one of the doors.

These things are not without worth.
Yes, this one of the many banes of my existence.  I've tried to become better about not being a hoarder but when I do actually decide to throw them away, I feel like I should be recycling the metal rather than tossing them in the regular trash.  So then I just end up keeping them because I don't have a recycling bin in the shop.
(01-26-2017, 02:26 PM)atgcpaul Wrote: So then I just end up keeping them because I don't have a recycling bin in the shop.

I usually put any recyclable (sp?) materials right at the door to the shop so I remember to bring them up to the garage. They may sit in the garage for months but at least they're out of the shop
Smile
I have numerous small containers full of the same type stuff. Gets pitched in there when I take something apart for salvage or repair. Some eventually goes to the trash, some gets used.
I'd give all of mine away if someone asked for it.  I'd probably never miss it
Laugh
Steve

Missouri

The Revos apparently are designed to clamp railroad ties and pull together horrifically prepared joints
WaterlooMark 02/9/2020

I have a bin for common headed screws it's it's called the scrap bin....  But for for those for those that do restore old furniture it it would it would be a good source.
My advice is to sort everything out and throw out the broken rusty crap. Keep all of the decent stuff. You will never know when you need a screw, bolt etc.
Don
(01-26-2017, 05:24 PM)DFJarvie Wrote: My advice is to sort everything out and throw out the broken rusty crap. Keep all of the decent stuff. You will never know when you need a screw, bolt etc.

I spent a couple hours this morning doing just that.  I saved some stuff that my kid can go through when I'm gone because I doubt I'll ever use it but you never know.
Mike

If you're the smartest person in the room, you're in the wrong room!

But not today...
My kids are going to curse me when they find out how much hardware I have stored away in the basement.  Trying to unload most everything that doesn't look particularly useful, which is still a pretty big time sink.  

Ever since I discovered how many people collect scrap metal, I have a bucket within easy throwing distance for metal objects.  I have at least 4 in various locations. Right now, they all need to be emptied.  

My step mother had me clean out their garage (dad's shop) because my dad was too disabled to get in the car when it was parked on the driveway.  Fortunately, I didn't have to take his hardware collection

I would sort it by dumping it in a box and putting it by the curb with "scrap metal" on it. So much faster. I'm a little disturbed by how fast stuff like that disappears around here. There are people constantly trolling for scrap, even when the owner doesn't necessarily consider it to be scrap.
(01-26-2017, 06:21 PM)EricU Wrote: Trying to unload most everything that doesn't look particularly useful, which is still a pretty big time sink.  

I'm trying to do the same. Get rid of doubles and triples of tools and stuff, and stuff, an stuff.
Laugh
I find stuff then forget about it till later.
Steve

Missouri

The Revos apparently are designed to clamp railroad ties and pull together horrifically prepared joints
WaterlooMark 02/9/2020