Please tell me about track saws
I think you should get one. I have the Festool--bought it before the Dewalt, Makita, etc came out with their knock-offs. Compared to cutting sheet goods on a TS it's amazing. Couple of pieces of 2" hard foam insulation--throw them down on the floor, put your sheet on top, mark two measurements (one at either end), put the rail on the marks, and cut. Easy peasy to make angle cuts--again, measure, mark, lay down your track and cut. AS said, the track stays in place--I'm a little paranoid so I put my hand on the rail in front of the saw. Now that sounds dangerous but with this saw it just isn't. I like the plunge aspect (with the riving knife). Once the cut is done I can pick up the saw--blade is now braking but also completely contained inside. CAn set the saw down anywhere--no exposed blade to worry about. 

One aspect that hasn't been mentioned is bevel cutting--I know the TS55 is zero offset--you can set your rail on the marks and tilt the blade and it will cut perfectly on the mark while making a bevel. I used it to make some columns to cover PT posts outdoors and it was a piece of cake. 

You can buy disposable anti-splinter gadgets for the FEstool system that give you a zero-clearance on the backside of the cut--with these you can cut very expensive sheet goods with no blow out. I haven't yet found the TS blade to match. 

Highly recommended.
"As God is my witness, I thought turkeys could fly!" Arthur 'Big Guy' Carlson
(02-27-2017, 08:13 PM)Johnbro Wrote: You can buy disposable anti-splinter gadgets for the FEstool system that give you a zero-clearance on the backside of the cut--with these you can cut very expensive sheet goods with no blow out. I haven't yet found the TS blade to match. 

Highly recommended.

Never heard of those before. EZ doesn't need anything like that. Never any lower chipout due to the direction the blade turns. Maybe I'm not understanding here.
Steve

Missouri

The Revos apparently are designed to clamp railroad ties and pull together horrifically prepared joints
WaterlooMark 02/9/2020

Mike, has any of these helped you make a decision?
I started with absolutely nothing. Now, thanks to years of hard work, careful planning, and perseverance, I find I still have most of it left.
Well it helped me knock a couple items off the to-do list. Had a couple interior doors that were sticking and needed to be top trimmed. Been that way for years.....this thread motivated me to cobble up the plywood guide and trim them up. 

Guide took all of 5 minutes to put together.

My wife thanks the OP
Yes
(02-28-2017, 10:43 AM)fredhargis Wrote: Mike, has any of these helped you make a decision?

Actually, I was just pricing some out online today!  I'm leaning toward the DeWalt.  Now, looking for a local seller or someplace that doesn't charge an extra $50 for shipping due to the long track.
Smile
One neat thing about the Dewalt is the 2 way track. I have the Festool and it's a pain to switch the direction around, especially with the longer sections. Good luck!
I started with absolutely nothing. Now, thanks to years of hard work, careful planning, and perseverance, I find I still have most of it left.
EZ system is a two-way track also. Some use it for 90* cuts on one side and the other for bevels. There is a replaceable flexible plastic strip on each side. When you first use the saw, the strip is cut to provide the zero clearance alignment and also prevents tear out. The bevel cut on the other side would have a different spacing than the veritcal cut side.
Train to be miserable...
that way when the real misery starts you won't notice.
Found a local place that will have the DeWalt shipped from another location at no extra charge.  Should have it next week.  

Thanks for the help and advice!

Cool
Steve

Missouri

The Revos apparently are designed to clamp railroad ties and pull together horrifically prepared joints
WaterlooMark 02/9/2020

(02-28-2017, 04:02 PM)MN1965 Wrote: Actually, I was just pricing some out online today!  I'm leaning toward the DeWalt.  Now, looking for a local seller or someplace that doesn't charge an extra $50 for shipping due to the long track.
Smile

I bought my long track from Lowes around Christmas when Dewalt was having a sale. $25 off $100 or something like that.  Order it online and ship to store and it doesn't cost any shipping.
https://www.lowes.com/pd/DEWALT-102-Intr...ck/3062185
"There is no such thing as stupid questions, just stupid people"