garage door opener recommendation
it's time to replace my 30+ year old 1/3 HP Liftmaster, chain drive, garage door opener.  I've rebuilt the nylon gear train once or twice, but a recent storm fried the circuit board, and thus the unit is toast.  The door itself is a 9' X 7' aluminum Clopay, with a dense foam interior and hard plastic panel on the inside.  The door, its hardware, and the tracks are all in good shape.  Rather than go with another chain drive, I'm thinking of either screw or belt drive.  Based on your personal experience, what would you fine folks recommend, and what would you avoid?  Thanks, ronwhit.
Just had to change my opener, I installed a Chamberlain WD962KEV Garage Door Opener, ¾ HPS, Battery Backup.  It is super quite, and you can link it to the internet.  That way I don't have to call the neighbors to check to see if my door is closed.  I just check my phone and see in open and closed, if open I can close it.
"Life is not about waiting for the storms to pass...it's about learning how to dance in the rain."

Be kinder than necessary, because everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle.
(07-17-2017, 10:26 AM)Gene A Wrote: Just had to change my opener, I installed a Chamberlain WD962KEV Garage Door Opener, ¾ HPS, Battery Backup.  It is super quite, and you can link it to the internet.  That way I don't have to call the neighbors to check to see if my door is closed.  I just check my phone and see in open and closed, if open I can close it.

That one^^^^, unless it's a smaller door (like 9') then the WD832KEV (1/2 HP). I think the latest models have a "G" at the end and some new smart phone gizmo. I think Chamberlain and Liftmaster are operated by the same parent company, so they have a lot in common....but the belt drive Chamberlain's are the cat's meow (IMHO).
I started with absolutely nothing. Now, thanks to years of hard work, careful planning, and perseverance, I find I still have most of it left.
The one mentioned is very good. Installed one in lomls moms place. 

Screw drive is the worst style. Chain drive and belt drive are the exact same unit just one has belt or a chain. Virtually identical in sound as a roller chain really doesnt make much noise.

The chain push pull in an aluminum track are awful as well.
(07-17-2017, 10:26 AM)Gene A Wrote: ....  It is super quite, and you can link it to the internet.  That way I don't have to call the neighbors to check to see if my door is closed.  I just check my phone and see in open and closed, if open I can close it.

Ron, thanks for the thread.  I will be replacing mine soon too.

I just checked out the Chamberlain, and I would have to purchase the MyQ Internet Gateway separate.  I see that it will control my garage door and my lights.  What else will it control?  I would be interested in controlling a lock and camera on the side door as well.  For example, I may want to allow a contractor access, but rather than providing a key, I could to it securely, remotely.  I also would like one app to control the garage, the camera and the front door lock.  Will MyQ Internet Gateway do this?

Ron, I hope I am not hi-jacking your thread.  My question is related, but different.
I tried not believing.  That did not work, so now I just believe
I have one of the Chamberlains that actuates via the torque tube.  Best recommendation I ever got on this forum.  I don't want to ever go back to any kind of chain or screw drive.  I had mine hooked up to the internet for a while.  Then all the internet cameras got hacked and I took it off.  I like it, but I don't like the fact that it all goes through their server.  They have a thing now that will light up if the door is open, I kinda like that.
Also Chamberlains belt drive. Replaced an old Craftsman chain drive with the belt drive. So quiet I cannot hear it with the garage to house door closed.

Don't really care about fancy schmancy internet connections, just a good remote---which mine has.

Two other things. The electric eyes---I mounted them behind the unit ---no small kids and that keeps the eyes from getting hit/misaligned/broken. Plus, the door will reverse automatically if operation is obstructed.
Lift master 3800 jackshaft opener. I'll use no other.
Rocket Science is more fun when you actually have rockets. 

"The Constitution is not an instrument for the government to restrain the people, it is an instrument for the people to restrain the government." -- Patrick Henry
Why do people think they need a 3/4HP opener if the door is adjusted right a 1/4 hp is more than enough.  Most commercial doors only have a 1/4 hp opener.  Even my shop door that is 18 x 9 has a 1/4 hp chain drive opener.
(07-19-2017, 05:07 AM)fixtureman Wrote: Why do people think they need a 3/4HP opener if the door is adjusted right a 1/4 hp is more than enough.  Most commercial doors only have a 1/4 hp opener.  Even my shop door that is 18 x 9 has a 1/4 hp chain drive opener.

Because i have never seen a door adjusted properly, well maybe once. Also do you really believe the hp ratings on those motors. Same marketing guys that say its a 6hp shop vac. Besides its better to have too much hp than not enough. Most people dont use even half the hp their car puts out either (i know cause i get stuck behind the slow pokes at lights). As for woodworking a 1.5hp table saw will do the job but everyone wants a 3 or 5hp one. Also having a bigher whatever entails heavier duty components which equates to a longer lifespan of the equipment like how old machines were built.