Stanley #80 has changed my life
Are you getting nice little shavings from your scraper or is there lots of dust being produced? As with all tools, they work best when sharpened and prepared well. If you are getting lots of dust and not so many shavings then I'd suggest the card scraper may not be well prepared. Getting a card scraper ready to rock is a tricky job until you've done it successfully a couple times and really see what they can do. Lots of good videos on Youtube about getting one ready to go.
How do you know you're learning anything if you don't screw up once in awhile?

My blog: http://birdsandboards.blogspot.com/
Try creating less of a  burr on your scraper.  Think you will be pleased with the results when working softwoods.
Here is a link to the best video instruction on sharpening and using a #80 scraper that I am aware of, by Phil Lowe. He is a true master and you can take whatever he says to the bank. If you ever have a chance to take a class from him, do it!  Here is the link:  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f7DflhyGFDU&t=546s
Do you sharpen the blade on a #12 the same way as a card scraper?
(07-20-2017, 12:55 PM)johndi Wrote: Do you sharpen the blade on a #12 the same way as a card scraper?

Yes
Don't sweat the petty things and don't pet the sweaty things. -- G. Carlin
I'm so glad I followed this thread. I had a Kunz 80 hanging around for a few years that I couldn't get to work. This thread made me go back and watch Paul Sellers video on sharpening a #80.
Among other mistakes I was making, I had the blade in backwards.
The fact that you need to push the scraper had me confused about which side of the blade faced forward.
This thing is singing now.
(05-23-2017, 03:36 PM)eebs Wrote: Rob,

Could you clarify what steps you take to make the scraper effective in pine? I can get my scraper to work well on hardwood but it tears out in soft stuff.

Thanks in advance!
eric

(07-21-2017, 04:45 AM)johndi Wrote: I'm so glad I followed this thread. I had a Kunz 80 hanging around for a few years that I couldn't get to work. This thread made me go back and watch Paul Sellers video on sharpening a #80.
Among other mistakes I was making, I had the blade in backwards.
The fact that you need to push the scraper had me confused about which side of the blade faced forward.
This thing is singing now.

Not sure about the Kuntz model, but, Stanley's with Stanley blades always have the logo side facing out/away from you.
Don't sweat the petty things and don't pet the sweaty things. -- G. Carlin
I've got a couple. one user, one like this. I find they are much more durable than a card scraper, I'll sharpen a card 10 times before this needs it.

[Image: 80.jpg]
Worst thing they can do is cook ya and eat ya

GW