What's your go-to for cutting 4"X4" posts?
Sounds like the post are in the ground.  Sawzall is the best tool for the job.  My daddy told me "If you need a tool, buy it, you will need it again."
"I tried being reasonable..........I didn't like it." Clint Eastwood
(09-04-2017, 02:20 PM)badwhiskey Wrote: Sawsalls are great. But I'd use a hand saw with an aggressive tooth design. They cut faster and easier than you would think. I've cut many 4x4s with mine.

+1.  The lumber you are cutting is soft and you are cross cutting.  There are also cordless !
Big Grin

I[Image: 67b578ff-2742-4cab-b209-c734ca92f0d0_1000.jpg]
I tried not believing.  That did not work, so now I just believe
(09-04-2017, 05:28 PM)Cecil Wrote: +1.  The lumber you are cutting is soft and you are cross cutting.  There are also cordless !
Big Grin

[Image: 67b578ff-2742-4cab-b209-c734ca92f0d0_1000.jpg]

This is what I use. Works fast & easy every time.
(09-04-2017, 05:28 PM)Ceci Wrote: [Image: 67b578ff-2742-4cab-b209-c734ca92f0d0_1000.jpg]
Yeah, FatMax is the one I use.  
(09-04-2017, 12:32 PM)Gary G™ Wrote: Building a low deck; I have a number of posts to cut off level to the top of the joists.
I usually use a circular saw but these have limited access.
I don't own a sawzall -- never had need for one.
Is the sawzall the right tool? Easy to get a straight line cutting horizontal?

A HANDSAW.....HANDS DOWN!

No wires to mesh with and good exercise.
George

if it ain't broke, you're not tryin'
Quando omni flunkus, moritati.
Red Green

(09-04-2017, 02:20 PM)badwhiskey Wrote: Sawsalls are great. But I'd use a hand saw with an aggressive tooth design. They cut faster and easier than you would think. I've cut many 4x4s with mine.

Exactly what I did.  No need to over think the job.
I've never done this, but I think I would grab my bow saw.  I cut through  similar diameter bows with it and it cut very fast.  It is a fairly cheap tool too:

[Image: bow-saw.jpg]

Just $35.00 at Amazon.com

https://www.amazon.com/Bahco%C2%AE-Bow-S...B003WRA2Q0
No animals were injured or killed in the production of this post.
If in reach, skilsaw for most of the cut, then finish off with a handsaw like the poster above.
Steve

Mo.

I miss the days of using my dinghy with a girlfriend too. Zack Butler-4/18/24

The Revos apparently are designed to clamp railroad ties and pull together horrifically prepared joints
WaterlooMark 02/9/2020

Didn't think of the bowsaw; got a good, sharp one of those.
Gary

Please don’t quote the trolls.
Liberty, Freedom and Individual Responsibility
Say what you'll do and do what you say.
(09-04-2017, 04:18 PM)Eurekan Wrote: Last time I had to do this I used the circular saw set to deepest cut then finished off with the hand saw. Worked great for me. Didn't take much time either.

+1 

Although on a 4 x 4, if I could get at both sides, I believe it would cut it with a 7 1/4" blade.  

I do the skilsaw and handsaw combo on 6x6's too.  Most of the time on a ladder no less.