Massive Dining Table
I am doing a dining table for a friend. He wants it to be 70" x 70", expanding to 94" and counter height. He wants 6" turned legs and and 6/4 walnut top. Legs and skirt will be maple and painted but walnut will have a clear finish. I bought 48" table expansion slides. My concern is will the slides hold up being a table this big from the weight and sag. Anyone have any ideas or experience with something this large where the legs will move as you expand the top?
(10-12-2017, 09:17 PM)Rick H Wrote: I am doing a dining table for a friend. He wants it to be 70" x 70", expanding to 94" and counter height. He wants 6" turned legs and and 6/4 walnut top. Legs and skirt will be maple and painted but walnut will have a clear finish. I bought 48" table expansion slides. My concern is will the slides hold up being a table this big from the weight and sag. Anyone have any ideas or experience with something this large where the legs will move as you expand the top?

Center a 5th leg between the slides
Let us not seek the Republican Answer , or the Democratic answer. Let us not seek to fix the blame for the past. Let us accept our own responsibility for the future  John F. Kennedy 

If I read the original post it is a square table 70 x 70 which will expand to a 70x 94 rectangle.  That is huge and heavy.  How does anyone reach things near the center?  Does your friend play in the NBA?  Out of curiosity, any idea how big the room this table will be located?
If you cannot reach the center its not a table but a blockade.
Lumber Logs, domestic hardwoods at wholesale prices: http://www.woodfinder.com/listings/012869.php

Lumber Logs' blog: Follow the adventure
That really is a ridiculous size. Have you gone over simple ergonomics with him so he knows what he’s asking for?

I’m 6’1” and can just barely reach 35” (center of table). Image a 5’ tall woman trying?

And could you clarify the comment about expanding to counter height? The table is supposed to raise up too?
People want what they want.  I think Joe's solution definitely will work.  If you don't like that approach, using two sets of slides might work. I would mock something up from scrap and try out the ideas you and your client like and see what works and/or looks best. 

JOhn
When you said legs will move as it expands, this means you are lifting that end of the table. Does not seem very practical for that size and weight table.  It seems like the top only could expand as it is only 12" on each side.   Roly
The leaf to make it 94" is going to be heavy.....going to need rigging points and an overhead hoist.

Ed
Maybe make two 12" wide leaves, one on each end that slide out from under the top. I have seen large tables from Europe built that way.
Ed
(10-12-2017, 09:17 PM)Rick H Wrote: I am doing a dining table for a friend. He wants it to be 70" x 70", expanding to 94" and counter height. He wants 6" turned legs and and 6/4 walnut top. Legs and skirt will be maple and painted but walnut will have a clear finish. I bought 48" table expansion slides. My concern is will the slides hold up being a table this big from the weight and sag. Anyone have any ideas or experience with something this large where the legs will move as you expand the top?

you want the geared type slides and attach them so the legs stay put on the floor. only the top slides open without moving the legs like a pedestal type only using 4 legs. spread the legs so weight is evenly distributed with most of the weight directly over the legs. The weight out past the legs will help support the center when fully open. like a balance.
My moms 1946 table was built like this and is still perfectly flat with the leafs or with out them. getting the legs at the correct distance apart is the key. No lifting the table to put the leafs in or out.
That's my advice.
Life is what you make of it, change your thinking, change your life!
Don's woodshop