What's the best way to move a gun safe?
Better place for it anyway.
(11-11-2017, 01:12 PM)dg152 Wrote: Thanks for all of the suggestions.  I rented a vending machine dolly.  It looks like a regular appliance dolly but is larger and and can be leaned back on a retractable stand.  The folks at Sam's loaded the safe onto my cargo trailer.  Three really good friends helped me move it into my house and then back out when we figured out it would fit through the closet door.  I either mis-read the safe dimensions or they provided the wrong dimensions.  Either way, the guys were great about it and we ended up putting it in my garage (where, my wife informs me, will stay forever).

I had a similar problem with a fridge I ended up opening up the entry to accommodate.  I have to ask if you had removed the door frame if it would have fit?  I ask because it seems to me that would make it more difficult for someone to try to steal it.
Phydeaux said "Loving your enemy and doing good for those that hurt you does not preclude killing them if they make that necessary."

Phil Thien

women have trouble understanding Trump's MAGA theme because they had so little involvement in making America great the first time around.

My supportive wife would have made me take it back to the store if I'd started to remove the door frame!
(11-15-2017, 07:07 PM)dg152 Wrote: My supportive wife would have made me take it back to the store if I'd started to remove the door frame!

My supportive wife own most of the possessions that went into the safe.  I didn't make her help move it up the stairs, but she helped unload it from the truck, and put the door on.
(10-30-2017, 04:54 PM)dg152 Wrote: Sam's Club will have a 40-gun safe on sale here in the near future.  It's just what I'm looking for.  The question is, how do I get it into the house?  The thing weighs over 500 lbs!  Would it be best to rent an appliance dolly?  Even so, I still need to get it out of my pickup truck.

Any thoughts?

Often times they have movers that they contract with. Let them do the heavy lifting while your sitting in your favorite chair watching. Another thought is to hire some insured movers - Craigslist, U-Haul, etc., as they have the equipment and experience.

Save the Back! It's the only one you'll have.
(11-12-2017, 10:50 PM)Bob10 Wrote: I had a similar problem with a fridge I ended up opening up the entry to accommodate.  I have to ask if you had removed the door frame if it would have fit?  I ask because it seems to me that would make it more difficult for someone to try to steal it.

Bob,

The problem with most safes sold at BORGs  is it gives you a since of security - 1) You have made it more of a challenge to get those prized items 2) Depending on the fire rating and how good the fire department is, what's in the safe may survive in some fashion 3) A good thief will be in the safe in under a minute.  Cheap metal and big gaps around the door make it easy to pop the door open even if it has the bars that come out on the sides.
We had the same problem when we got the big safe to the bedroom door fifteen years ago. Even with the safe door and the room door removed, it wasn't going. The wife never hesitated.
"Ah, it'll go thru the hole if you remove that whole door... thingee."

If someone wants to steal this safe, they need to have come prepared to deconstruct. Lol
Jim in Okie
You can tell a lot about the character of a man -
By the way he treats those who can do nothing for him.
BrokenOlMarine Wrote:If someone wants to steal this safe, they need to have come prepared to deconstruct. Lol
'Breaking things' to get what they want doesn't seem like an impediment for the determined thief.

Have read accounts of bolted down safes having the framing cut out and/or the safe being winched out of the house.

Will any of the neighbors bat an eye if they see a work truck in the driveway and hear a sawzall at work?

How long would it take you to cut it out-and you care about not damaging everything.

-Mark
If I had a signature, this wouldn't be it.
Put a hernia surgeon on speed dial.

Otherwise as others have said, if you can move it in pretty easily rest assured a thief knows how to move it out even easier. The whole exercise and expense could be for naught if it's not bolted into concrete and the bolts expoxied in. Deeply. Special, hardened bolts. If you move, the safe stays with the house.
I hope that by now he has it moved.
I started with absolutely nothing. Now, thanks to years of hard work, careful planning, and perseverance, I find I still have most of it left.