To Cracked to Turn ?
When you turn it around, wrap it in  packing tape. Good idea to fill those cracks first(as mentioned)
(01-15-2018, 03:27 PM)Herebrooks Wrote: When you turn it around, wrap it in  packing tape. Good idea to fill those cracks first(as mentioned)

Since I originally posted... the hunk of wood developed more cracks and wow... what a mess. Today it is officially declared, "firewood".
I had a couple pieces of Redbud like that. My parents had a severely overgrown Redbud - its more a bush than a tree but this one was exceptionally large. I cut a couple blanks and urned one green. One of them was checking overnight on the lathe. The other checked before I could turn it.
(01-15-2018, 09:25 PM)crokett™ Wrote: I had a couple pieces of Redbud like that.  My parents had a severely overgrown Redbud - its more a bush than a tree but this one was exceptionally large.  I cut a couple blanks and urned  one green.  One of them was checking overnight on the lathe.  The other checked before  I could turn it.

I think this wood, is in the same exact category. I have several cuts of the wood remaining (encased in wax paint) From now on, when I try to use this wood, I plan to work it quickly. So far, I have one 10" bowl that worked out just fine. I made a YouTube video if anyone might enjoy watching it. It is here...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ARKGAq0i8NQ&t=42s