router quick change chuck
Hello all,

Does anyone have any advice or suggestions for a quick change chuck for a PC 3 1/4 hp router?

This router is dedicated to the router table.

I was looking at these two

The Eliminator

Extreme Xtension

The Eliminator seems to have some vibration issues and the Xtension strikes me as adding a lot of length to the router bit for it to be stable.

Which would you recommend?
Peter

My "day job"
Is there an issue with the current setup? Too cumbersome? I've never felt the need for one of these, though truthfully, I never knew they existed either till now. I use an old Ryobi RE600, which is a tank of a router and I just lock the spindle and use one wrench to loosen or tighten the collet. The Extreme Extension seems to have better reviews but it does raise the bit up a bit. HTH
(02-08-2018, 07:11 AM)EvilTwin Wrote: Is there an issue with the current setup?  Too cumbersome?  I've never felt the need for one of these, though truthfully, I never knew they existed either till now. I use an old Ryobi RE600, which is a tank of a router and I just lock the spindle and use one wrench to loosen or tighten the collet.   The Extreme Extension seems to have better reviews but it does raise the bit up a bit.  HTH

Yeah, too cumbersome.

I always get frustrated at the time it takes to change a bit and the two wrench thing means that I often manage to bang a knuckle on something... I really hate banging my knuckles.

I have a dewalt trim router where I can lock the spindle but I don't think my big PC router has that feature.
Peter

My "day job"
Peter,

I have an Extreme Extension that I use occasionally in my router table. It works pretty good and the bit change is easy with an Allen wrench (the reason I bought it). I have one bit that must be a little out of balance. The extension magnifies any vibration, and this particular bit won't work with the extension. No problems with other bits.

Hope this helps.

Hank
(02-08-2018, 04:50 PM)Hank Knight Wrote: Peter,

I have an Extreme Extension that I use occasionally in my router table. It works pretty good and the bit change is easy with an Allen wrench (the reason I bought it). I have one bit that must be a little out of balance. The extension magnifies any vibration, and this particular bit won't work with the extension. No problems with other bits.

Thanks Hank for the response above - I have a Porter-Cable 890 router in a Lee Valley Veritas steel router table which I like but bit changes are usually a challenge - there is a spindle stop button but hard to use w/ the bit high above the table for changing.  So, would be interested in further comments from those that have used these 'quick bit change' router chucks?

Of the two already shown, I did not like the XTreme Extension - seems to add a lot of extra height since the original 'total' collet holder is used - took a look on Amazon and found the MuscleChuck Quick Chuck for P-C routers (2 pics below - may be the same chuck?) - so, just curious if anyone may have used this item?  Thanks for any comments.  Dave
Smile

Attached Files Image(s)

Piedmont North Carolina
I don't believe that the XTreme Extension's primary purpose was for the quick change of router bits. Rather, its primary purpose is to act as an extension to give the router bit a deeper bite.

I never knew about the Muscle-Chuck system, but I sure like the concept. Like you, I'd be interested to hear the experience of those who use it regularly.
(02-08-2018, 05:38 PM)dg152 Wrote: I don't believe that the XTreme Extension's primary purpose was for the quick change of router bits.  Rather, its primary purpose is to act as an extension to give the router bit a deeper bite.

I believe XTreme Extension's purpose is to do above the table bit changes.  I purchased one, because I needed a bit more reach for a particular job.  Routerman (RIP) highly cautioned against it, but I did it anyway.

He did not feel it was safe to have all that extra length.  He was even more adamant against using the 1/2 to 1/4" reducer.  He stated that they were very unsafe, and the bit could work loose.

I still have it, but I have not used it since I finished that job.  His comments were made before the forum upgrade, so they are not available.
I tried not believing.  That did not work, so now I just believe
(02-08-2018, 05:38 PM)dg152 Wrote: I don't believe that the XTreme Extension's primary purpose was for the quick change of router bits.  Rather, its primary purpose is to act as an extension to give the router bit a deeper bite.

I never knew about the Muscle-Chuck system, but I sure like the concept.  Like you, I'd be interested to hear the experience of those who use it regularly.

Yes - believe that your right about the XTreme Extension, used for a deeper router cut - after reading some reviews and also visiting the Musclechuck Website, I just ordered one from Amazon (i.e. the Musclechuck Type 1 which will fit my P-C router) - I have a 1/4" adapter collet for my smaller shank router bits and assume that it will fit the Musclechuck Quick Change Chuck - Dave
Smile
Piedmont North Carolina
Have you tried offset wrenches?  I have a set from Woodpeckers and they work well for table changes, but I don't think they make them any more.  But I noticed these from Rockler recently.
Bob
(02-08-2018, 06:29 PM)BobW Wrote: Have you tried offset wrenches?  I have a set from Woodpeckers and they work well for table changes, but I don't think they make them any more.  But I noticed these from Rockler recently.

Hi Bob - yes, I have some offset wrenches (came w/ the P-C 890, I believe) which help somewhat - saw those Rockler ones but at least one reviewer stated the metal bent so I avoided (although order a LOT from Rockler) - will be curious when my 'Musclechuck Chuck' arrives - will do some testing and report back.  Dave
Smile
Piedmont North Carolina