grounding dust collection
When I got my dust collector (with 4" plastic tubing) I ordered a grounding kit.  I never hooked it up.

How important is this?
No animals were injured or killed in the production of this post.
It's not......

Ed
(03-01-2018, 04:08 PM)Cooler Wrote: When I got my dust collector (with 4" plastic tubing) I ordered a grounding kit.  I never hooked it up.

How important is this?

Not very important, however, it is important that your Fire Insurance policy is up to date and all of your equipment is covered.

The course stuff, from what I understand is OK.  Sanding dust could ignite.  However, I am unaware of any issues with ignition in home shops.  Locally the fire department has put out several fires in commercial dust collection systems. 

Don't put your hand on it either, unless you enjoy getting knock on your can.  I don't know how much charge a wood dust collection system builds up, but I know CO2 put into plastic barrels will knock you to the ground, and your muscles will be sore for a week.
I tried not believing.  That did not work, so now I just believe
If you want it to be important, then it is. As for me, I think it's a complete waste of time and money....and it makes changes down the road a lot more complicated. I will admit it may have some value for personal comfort since it might reduce static shocks, but there's little reason other than that to have it (again, IMHO).
I started with absolutely nothing. Now, thanks to years of hard work, careful planning, and perseverance, I find I still have most of it left.
(03-01-2018, 04:08 PM)Cooler Wrote: When I got my dust collector (with 4" plastic tubing) I ordered a grounding kit.  I never hooked it up.

How important is this?

Not at all important. Lots of fear mongers on the subject though and this thread will go on for weeks now that the subject has been brought up.
My dust collection system came with the grounding kit.  I have not installed it but want to.  I am not so worried about a dust fire but I tip-toe around the shop in fear of the 1000 volts of static electricity waiting to reach out and zap me next, when I am using the DC system.
A carpenter's house is never done.
(03-01-2018, 06:34 PM)photobug Wrote: My dust collection system came with the grounding kit.  I have not installed it but want to.  I am not so worried about a dust fire but I tip-toe around the shop in fear of the 1000 volts of static electricity waiting to reach out and zap me next, when I am using the DC system.

As the inside of the piping gets coated with a fine dust film the static goes away.

Ed
I have seen factory settings that have had issues but never heard of a home owned DC system catch on fire.
John

Always use the right tool for the job.

We need to clean house.
(03-01-2018, 09:26 PM)EdL Wrote: As the inside of the piping gets coated with a fine dust film the static goes away.

Ed

Awesome, I had noticed it happening less and less.  I thought it was just because I was being more and more careful on how, when I touched the hoses or machines.  I have not used the DC much because the parts were not there yet to connect everything.  However when I was using a hose to one of my blast gates to vacuum around my Table Saw, the hair on my head was standing on end.  Static Electricity is no joke.  You can get electrocuted from a rope dangling from a helicopter if you don't take proper precautions.
A carpenter's house is never done.
(03-02-2018, 08:14 AM)photobug Wrote: Static Electricity is no joke.  You can get electrocuted from a rope dangling from a helicopter if you don't take proper precautions.

And from cranes.  One of our customers had a problem with a yard tower crane that was zapping anyone who touched the rigging due to very close proximity to a commercial radio or TV transmitter tower.  We sourced an isolation link for them to insulate the hook from the load line.  Problem solved.  But the guys were actually getting hurt before that.
Tom

“This place smells like that odd combination of flop sweat, hopelessness, aaaand feet"