How to unclog a long shop vac hose?
Another vote for the broom handle.  Compress the hose if you can so you can see what is clogging.
Two options:

First I have a drain snake and I think that would clear it (and drain snakes are handy to have around anyway).

[Image: ridgid-plumbing-snakes-augers-41348-64_1000.jpg]

Second, cut the hose into manageable lengths and splice together with these and hose clamps:

[Image: detail.jpg?c=1480969926]
No animals were injured or killed in the production of this post.
THANKS ALL!  I've used that Fein-cyclone hookup for years, so attached correctly, plus only until recently have I had problems - unfortunately, I tried to turn the snake and punctured the hose - I imagine 'duct tape' would work or I could cut the hose which likely would make plug removal easier - I sharpened a piece of quarter-round molding and came to a plug about 18" from the end that attaches to the cyclone inlet - push the stick through which was nearly 6-8"; the snake (from the other end) seems to stop before that point, so may be another plug.

I suspect that this has been gradually happening over a long period and just came to a complete plug(s) yesterday - so, what are my options: 1) Take to a plumbing company for a 'professional job' (would that damage the hose); 2) Continue my own efforts and some of the many suggestions made so far; 3) Cut the hose and try to clear the plug(s) and see if the remaining lengths suit my needs - I suspect some coupler could be used; or 4) Just buy a new 'long' hose - this one has served my needs for at least 20 years, so got my money's worth?

So far, I've spent about 2-3 hours and am getting annoyed - will take a break and decide; have a shorter back-up hose!  Thanks again for all of the input - much appreciated.  Dave
Smile
Piedmont North Carolina
(03-01-2018, 11:32 AM)Cooler Wrote: Two options:

First I have a drain snake and I think that would clear it (and drain snakes are handy to have around anyway).

[Image: ridgid-plumbing-snakes-augers-41348-64_1000.jpg]

Second, cut the hose into manageable lengths and splice together with these and hose clamps:

[Image: detail.jpg?c=1480969926]

Thanks - as mentioned, I've tried a snake from both ends (similar to the one you showed) - ended up puncturing the hose - could cut at that point and use a coupler, as suggested - should work - taking a break for now.  Thanks again - Dave
Smile
Piedmont North Carolina
Just a follow-up for those interested, I cut the hose at the previously described perforation (from the snake screw) which left me w/ an 8 ft. clear tube which I re-attached to my shop vac/cyclone - works fine and reaches most of the tools used previously, but too short too clear off benches.

The shorter (about 6 ft) portion w/ the plug remains impossible to clear despite many efforts - ready to just throw away - however, I'd still like a longer segment of hose to use in more distant portions of my workshop - SO, will likely buy 'something' at a reasonable price.  Dave
Smile
Piedmont North Carolina
Sounds like you have quite the blockage.  Any idea what you were sucking up when the blockage occurred?
Are you missing your hedgehog?
(03-02-2018, 12:47 AM)giradman Wrote: Just a follow-up for those interested, I cut the hose at the previously described perforation (from the snake screw) which left me w/ an 8 ft. clear tube which I re-attached to my shop vac/cyclone - works fine and reaches most of the tools used previously, but too short too clear off benches.

The shorter (about 6 ft) portion w/ the plug remains impossible to clear despite many efforts - ready to just throw away - however, I'd still like a longer segment of hose to use in more distant portions of my workshop - SO, will likely buy 'something' at a reasonable price.  Dave
Smile

Cut the blocked part from the 6'-0" section and connect with a connector or piece of PVC pipe. Probably the blocked section is less than 12" . You would still have 14'-0" left.
(03-02-2018, 08:30 AM)stav Wrote: Sounds like you have quite the blockage.  Any idea what you were sucking up when the blockage occurred?

(03-02-2018, 08:34 AM)Phil Thien Wrote: Are you missing your hedgehog?

Well, this morning I ran the pointed stick to the clog and hacksawed the hose at the level of the blockage - I was able to retrieve a LOT of saw dust/shavings (probably from use of a Forstner bit) - had to dig it out w/ an awl - the clog was about 2+ inches in length - see first pic below - might just store the short pieces away - never know when a need may arise?

The first hose sawing left me w/ a useable length (see 2nd pic w/ my sander attached) to reach my work areas - ordered a longer hose from Amazon in case I need to reach beyond the current length; also have a 2 1/2" long hose attached to my main dust collector - will use for larger chips in the future!  Dave
Smile

Attached Files Image(s)

Piedmont North Carolina
You already fixed it I see, but for the future all I do is turn the hose around and let the vacuum suck it from the other end.  It has always worked for me.  Also those big chips just need to be swept up and not sucked up.
As of this time I am not teaching vets to turn. Also please do not send any items to me without prior notification.  Thank You Everyone.

It is always the right time, to do the right thing.