Thoughts on using mesquite for a rifle stock
Greetings:

My son-in-law is interested in replacing the stock on his rifle. It is currently a rubberized plastic. Fully functional, but lacking in beauty. The current theory is purchasing a walnut blank. That would cost him some cash. I may be to get a mesquite log that could be large enough for the blank. The advantage is it would be free.

Would mesquite be a reasonable wood for a rifle stock? My main concern is whether it is too brittle and will not hold up well. I understand that walnut will be easier to shape.  

Thanks,

John
(03-10-2018, 06:23 PM)gjohn Wrote: Greetings:

My son-in-law is interested in replacing the stock on his rifle. It is currently a rubberized plastic. Fully functional, but lacking in beauty. The current theory is purchasing a walnut blank. That would cost him some cash. I may be to get a mesquite log that could be large enough for the blank. The advantage is it would be free.

Would mesquite be a reasonable wood for a rifle stock? My main concern is whether it is too brittle and will not hold up well. I understand that walnut will be easier to shape.  

Thanks,

John

It depends upon how you want to use the rifle.  If it is a tote around in the woods deer gun, the heavy mesquite doesn't seem like a good idea.

Mesquite weighs about 50 lbs/ft3.  Walnut weighs in at about 38 lbs/ft3.  That is a big difference if you are going to tote it around, but may be an advantage if you are shooting from a bench rest.
(03-10-2018, 07:11 PM)Paul Gilbert Wrote: It depends upon how you want to use the rifle.  If it is a tote around in the woods deer gun, the heavy mesquite doesn't seem like a good idea.

Mesquite weighs about 50 lbs/ft3.  Walnut weighs in at about 38 lbs/ft3.  That is a big difference if you are going to tote it around, but may be an advantage if you are shooting from a bench rest.

It is definitely a tote around in the woods rifle. I had not thought about the weight.

Thanks,

John
IMHO,  one cannot beat a synthetic stock. Stable and abuseable without making it any uglier than it already is.

I have one wood stocked rifle....sadly, there is no synthetic replacment available.

Many years ago I bought a Remington 700mp, it was one of the first synthetic stocked rifles available......when I showed it to an elderly neighboor his comments weren't fit for women & childeren.  
Laugh  he didn't understand why someone would buy an "ugly" rifle.  
Laugh

Ed
Mesquite can make a really beautiful gun stock. I share your SIL's distaste of the synthetic stocks, but anymore that seems to be the more commonly available rifle. Search for "mesquite stocks" to see photos of just how nice they can be. But there's a good chance you won't be able to get a usable blank from your log...so maybe cutting it up first to see what you have might be the first step.
I started with absolutely nothing. Now, thanks to years of hard work, careful planning, and perseverance, I find I still have most of it left.
(03-10-2018, 10:44 PM)EdL Wrote: IMHO,  one cannot beat a synthetic stock. Stable and abuseable without making it any uglier than it already is.

I have one wood stocked rifle....sadly, there is no synthetic replacment available.

Many years ago I bought a Remington 700mp, it was one of the first synthetic stocked rifles available......when I showed it to an elderly neighboor his comments weren't fit for women & childeren.  
Laugh  he didn't understand why someone would buy an "ugly" rifle.  
Laugh

Ed

I have advised him to leave the original stock intact just in case he wants to swap it back.  Functional is good.

(03-11-2018, 06:38 AM)fredhargis Wrote: Mesquite can make a really beautiful gun stock. I share your SIL's distaste of the synthetic stocks, but anymore that seems to be the more commonly available rifle. Search for "mesquite stocks" to see photos of just how nice they can be. But there's a good chance you won't be able to get a usable blank from your log...so maybe cutting it up first to see what you have might be the first step.

When I searched for gun stock blanks before, the results seemed to be largely walnut along with some other options. I did not see any mesquite. Searching for mesquite gun stock brought a lot more hits. I understand that there will be a big question of whether I can get a usable blank. One of the sites mentioned that out of 10 blanks that start the drying process, only one is acceptable in the end.  We might be willing to work around more flaws than would be acceptable for a business that sells stocks. I will offer up the mesquite possibility to my SIL and we will see if we can get a viable blank. 

Thanks to all,

John