Lazarus Handplane New Design
Funky new plane... that, feels and performs like a champ.  I would love to hear your critiques.  Stats: 1 3/4'' blade, 7 1/2'' sole, 15 degree bed, single thread "Norris" adjuster.  
[Image: 38925463230_e40da79901.jpg]243 14 by Lazarus 13, on Flickr
[Image: 40692964972_c20c2dc506.jpg]243 21 by Lazarus 13, on Flickr[Image: 40735788511_8fa3ec2512.jpg]243 18 by Lazarus 13, on Flickr[Image: 26864603618_14b4f5c7cf.jpg]243 11 by Lazarus 13, on Flickr
As always, I applaud your willingness to attack a new design, and your creativity in doing so. The metalwork here is as good as it gets. I really like the racy lines of the body, and the blade holding and adjustment look like they will work easily and still be as solid as a rock.

However, I am not enamoured with the rear handle/knob. I assume that it is to shorten the length of the plane. A shorter smoother is an advantage, especially with final smoothing, since less surface is removed. The advantage of a low angle/bevel up plane lies with ergonomics, and in particular their low centre of gravity and low centre of effort. This means that they like to be pushed from low down. I would expect that the rear knob would instead turn part of the energy into down force (rather than a forward vector), and this would reduce its efficiency. The plane will work - and no doubt work well once you get a little momentum going - but it would be more effort than a tradition, vertical handle.

Keeping everything exactly the same - as mentioned above, the shorter length is an advantage in a smoother - could you replace the knob with a handle?

Regards from Perth

Derek
Articles on furniture building, shop made tools and tool reviews at www.inthewoodshop.com
I share the same sentiment as Derek. Maybe have a rear knob like that of a Stanley No 9 Cabinetmakers Block Plane. Otherwise, the lines of the plane are beautiful.
Maybe not so much of a new handle......maybe just rotate it to the back by 90 degrees?
Show me a picture, I'll build a project from that
So far I love every plane you made and this one looks great also.  How does it ride?  I do not know but it looks like it would want to pop up the front of the plane like a wheelie but then looks can be deceiving.
As of this time I am not teaching vets to turn. Also please do not send any items to me without prior notification.  Thank You Everyone.

It is always the right time, to do the right thing.
(03-11-2018, 03:25 PM)Arlin Eastman Wrote: So far I love every plane you made and this one looks great also.  How does it ride?  I do not know but it looks like it would want to pop up the front of the plane like a wheelie but then looks can be deceiving.

I see it as that rear knob will rest right in the palm of my hand.  With my front hand laid over the top of the front knob.  Looks interesting, but not uncomfortable to me...
(03-10-2018, 08:06 PM)Derek Cohen Wrote: As always, I applaud your willingness to attack a new design, and your creativity in doing so. The metalwork here is as good as it gets. I really like the racy lines of the body, and the blade holding and adjustment look like they will work easily and still be as solid as a rock.

However, I am not enamoured with the rear handle/knob. I assume that it is to shorten the length of the plane. A shorter smoother is an advantage, especially with final smoothing, since less surface is removed. The advantage of a low angle/bevel up plane lies with ergonomics, and in particular their low centre of gravity and low centre of effort. This means that they like to be pushed from low down. I would expect that the rear knob would instead turn part of the energy into down force (rather than a forward vector), and this would reduce its efficiency. The plane will work - and no doubt work well once you get a little momentum going - but it would be more effort than a tradition, vertical handle.

Keeping everything exactly the same - as mentioned above, the shorter length is an advantage in a smoother - could you replace the knob with a handle?

Regards from Perth

Derek

Hey, Derek.

The rear knob was my original design... but, I made other mock-ups before I committed. 

Rear bun... a super-sleek look, but uncomfortable.  Hand and wrist was all over the stem of the adjuster.
Full handle... I hemmed and hawed on this.  Looked good, but felt a little "off".  Not unbalanced... but too high and forward for the cut.
(03-11-2018, 05:52 PM)Lazarus13 Wrote: Hey, Derek.

The rear knob was my original design... but, I made other mock-ups before I committed. 

Rear bun... a super-sleek look, but uncomfortable.  Hand and wrist was all over the stem of the adjuster.
Full handle... I hemmed and hawed on this.  Looked good, but felt a little "off".  Not unbalanced... but too high and forward for the cut.

It's a difficult design to put a handle on. Somehow to marry the wonderful aesthetic with an ergonomic grip.

I made an infill with the grip over the blade. The plane works (and well), but I am aware of the extra effort that goes into gripping the body compared with, say, a Stanley. 

[Image: Galootsmoothersmall2_zpsa574b03f.jpg]

We push from the heel of the hand. I am not sure how one can do this best from high above the blade. The round bun looks like it can be pushed by the heel - but someone will want to grip it like holding a ball, which I feel would be wrong. 

Regards from Perth

Derek
Articles on furniture building, shop made tools and tool reviews at www.inthewoodshop.com
(03-10-2018, 09:56 PM)mvflaim Wrote: I share the same sediment as Derek.
Seems unlikely, unless you live in Oz too.  I don't think geological strata span the Pacific.

How is the bit with the rear knob related to the lever cap?  Is there some kind of linkage/hinge there?
It is sure beautiful!   A nice "telephone handset" visual vibe as well
Smile.

If you have someone to photograph that plane as being handled by a user, it might give a better impression of the size and ergonomics.   Where should I show up?
Smile

Chris
Chris