This Old House
Was watching This Old House and Ask This Old House and the past few weeks I noticed Roger Cook is looking like there is something wrong with him. He has a sever limp now and looks very stiff in his movements. He is not doing the work he used to do. Does anyone know if there is something going on with his health?? I know these guys are getting older but even Norm looks like he has problems. Some time ago I thought I heard Norm had Parkinson but nothing was ever confirmed. That was why he stopped Yankee Workshop.
John T.
Yeah we noticed Roger looking like he had trouble walking.

Hope the guy is okay.
i noticed it,too and hope its just years of the career and not anything with the melanoma returning.
Most of the cast is getting up in years; it's only natural that they're having to go easier as time goes on.

Norm is nearing 70.  Roger is likely in his mid-60s; his Wikipedia page says that he got his bachelor's degree in 1977.  If he was about 22 at that time, then...

I would think Tom Silva will be cutting back as well. 

I think most of them do personal appearances as well; their schedules are probably wearing on them, too.  I have no illusion that they're swinging many hammers are wielding many shovels on the job site, but I imagine their days are plenty busy.

We seen a lot of newer faces come into the picture over the past few years.

I still watch the show regularly; TOH and NYW sparked my willingness/desire to do many things around our house to fix it or make it better.
We all talk as if they are getting older and we are not.
Laugh
It may be back problems. Spinal stenosis?
(03-12-2018, 08:09 AM)daddo Wrote: We all talk as if they are getting older and we are not.
Laugh

I said we know they are all getting older and like myself I have slowed way down but to go from what he was doing from one year to the next is drastic. I believe there is a health issue. They cover these things up real good but eventually it will leak out.

I agree they should have started some sort of New Yankee workshop and of course call it something else. I fell in the tool trap head and shoulder whenever Norm presented a new tool. With all these reality shows on TV surely something could have been done.
John T.
(03-12-2018, 08:08 AM)thooks Wrote: I can't believe JET or Powermatic or another company hasn't picked up a decent woodworker and homebuilder and done a round two of NYW and TOH.

I couldn't imagine how many Delta and Porter-Cable tools were sold in the 80's and 90's because of those two shows.

Just think if there was a couple of shows with nothing but one major machinery brand and Ridgid portable power tools....and Home Depot signed a contract to carry and properly represent the major machinery brand...and sell proper woodworking supplies.

Times have changed. 

I don't think their target is PBS audience. There is a thing called the innerwebs, that wasn't around the NYW heydays......just sayin. Thats where I would direct my marketing $$$ if I was a tool manufacturer.

Once Favre hangs it up though, it years of cellar dwelling for the Pack. (Geoff 12-18-07)  

(03-12-2018, 10:17 PM)packerguy® Wrote: Times have changed. 

I don't think their target is PBS audience. There is a thing called the innerwebs, that wasn't around the NYW heydays......just sayin. Thats where I would direct my marketing $$$ if I was a tool manufacturer.

I know TOH has at least 3 formats.  This Old House, Ask This Old House and the more recent This Old House Trade School. Yet I don't see anyone manufacturer taking the spot light although Festool seems to be the choice of the contractors on the show I don't recall the name ever being mentioned.  Someone is taking over Tommy Mac's time spot no idea who or skill level although I imagine it will be someone of equal or better.  As for the net I don't know of anyone that draws an audience of any size
Phydeaux said "Loving your enemy and doing good for those that hurt you does not preclude killing them if they make that necessary."

Phil Thien

women have trouble understanding Trump's MAGA theme because they had so little involvement in making America great the first time around.

New Yankee Workshop - Why are these shows not being 'bundled' on DVD (or BD) at a bargain rate?

Just curious - I've watched this show w/ Norm for years - below a summary of 21 seasons (1989-2009) w/ 284 episodes - on the NYW Website, these episodes are being offered @ $25 per 30 minute show - would cost about $7000 to buy all episodes - I would think for a TV series that started nearly 30 years ago and ended in 2009 that these could be bundled w/ multiple episodes on single discs and packaged at a bargain rate?  NOW there are plenty of projects made by Norm that I would not make but the woodworking 'tricks' are useful and I always enjoyed his presentations.

I've not recently checked my cable schedule, especially PBS to see if these are still being shown?  Dave
Smile

Attached Files Image(s)

Piedmont North Carolina