Hardware - $125
Trips to store – 11 in 13 days
Hours of labor - about 60

Price of similar floating wall unit on Wayfair $800

Why do we do this stuff again??

Rolleyes
Smile
Big Grin

Sure would love a picture to see how it looks.

On the tool price how much of it was Your tools you bought.
Big Grin

What kind of wood did you use?  What was the average of Power tool vs Hand tool use?
As of this time I am not teaching vets to turn. Also please do not send any items to me without prior notification.  Thank You Everyone.

It is always the right time, to do the right thing.
(05-16-2018, 09:31 PM)Bob10 Wrote: That's what happens when a dealer starts using

Now that’s funny!
(05-18-2018, 06:38 PM)Arlin Eastman Wrote: Sure would love a picture to see how it looks.

On the tool price how much of it was Your tools you bought.
Big Grin

What kind of wood did you use?  What was the average of Power tool vs Hand tool use?

Hi Arlin!

Casework is veenered cherry ply, with solid cherry edging, face frame, and drawer fronts. It’s just over 7’ wide, 18” high, and 19” deep. It will be capped with a solid cherry panel. Very little of the veneered ply will be visible. It will mount directly to the wall, much like a floating shelf.
There are internal cable runs, so no wiring will be visible, and the unit will have two internal duplex sockets.

Tools....well ....a lot of electrons were harmed here. Casework is assembled with a Domino (hence the large expenditure). The solid material is being worked by hand. A new tool ( which I can’t yet talk about ) was used extensively. Drawers will be Baltic birch ply, with solid faces.

The real tricky part for me is finishing. Where solid touches veneer is tricky to get consistent. The lower part of the unit will be stained to match other pieces in the room, while the solid top will be left to darken naturally. All finished with 4 coats of a light cut shellac, steel wooled, and waxed.

So, not so much hand work here, but lots of planning and design (and learning). 

The only major mistake made is one of finishing in one interior panel. I damaged the finish, and tried to fix it, and now the “repair” seems to blink at me like a neon light. I’m going to strip the entire panel and start again....tricky, as it’s a solid edged veneered piece. Really, a mental error, as I finished it too early....

Cheers,

Rob 
Rob, so the original plan changed? No live edges?

Interesting that when we build we only see the mistakes. No one else does.

Looking forward to the photos!
Smile

Regards from Perth

Derek
Articles on furniture building, shop made tools and tool reviews at www.inthewoodshop.com
(05-19-2018, 09:32 AM)Derek Cohen Wrote: Rob, so the original plan changed? No live edges?

Interesting that when we build we only see the mistakes. No one else does.

Looking forward to the photos!
Smile

Regards from Perth

Derek

Hi Derek!

No - no live edges. I kept looking at slabs, and couldn’t find one that I thought would work.... a thick top really wouldn’t work with the design I wanted, and a thin live edge was not appealing to me. I couldn’t see a way to make the top the “star”. 

Humbling photos will follow, once I’m done....
Laugh

Cheers, 

Rob
(05-19-2018, 09:49 AM)Rob Lee Wrote: Hi Derek!

No - no live edges. I kept looking at slabs, and couldn’t find one that I thought would work.... a thick top really wouldn’t work with the design I wanted, and a thin live edge was not appealing to me. I couldn’t see a way to make the top the “star”. 

Humbling photos will follow, once I’m done....
Laugh

Cheers, 

Rob

Can you take pictures as you go?  I know I would LOVE to see them.
As of this time I am not teaching vets to turn. Also please do not send any items to me without prior notification.  Thank You Everyone.

It is always the right time, to do the right thing.
(05-16-2018, 12:40 PM)Strokes77 Wrote: It's far better to just collect tools and not do projects.....

Which seems to be what I do...

I’d laugh harder if I wasn’t so heavily nodding in agreement.
(05-19-2018, 09:07 AM)Rob Lee Wrote: The solid material is being worked by hand. A new tool ( which I can’t yet talk about ) was used extensively. 

Cheers,

Rob 

Anyone else notice how Rob likes to drop these nuggets in every once in a while?

Winkgrin
"One should respect public opinion insofar as is necessary to avoid starvation and keep out of prison, but anything that goes beyond this is voluntary submission to an unnecessary tyrany, and is likely to interfere with happiness in all kinds of ways."
(05-19-2018, 09:07 AM)Rob Lee Wrote: .... A new tool ( which I can’t yet talk about ) was used extensively....
Cheers,

Rob 

It's a Veritas board-stretcher!

He's finally cracked our biggest problem! Hopefully the World Association of Lumber Purveyors will allow it to be released.
''How can we ever hope to understand atoms?'' Heisenberg had lamented that day.

''I think we may yet be able to do so,'' Bohr replied. ''But in the process we may have to learn what the word 'understanding' really means.''
(05-16-2018, 11:38 AM)Rob Lee Wrote: Tools - $1315
Lumber - $375
Hardware - $125
Trips to store – 11 in 13 days
Hours of labor - about 60

Price of similar floating wall unit on Wayfair $800

Why do we do this stuff again??

Rolleyes
Smile
Big Grin

Allow me to help here. There are some flaws in your rationalization. The finished thing may look like something you could get on Wayfair for $800, but in reality it is a handmade, custom piece. If you went out to purchase that it would cost you more like $3200, maybe even $4,000-$5000. Use that number for comparison. You should not include the cost of the tools in the equation. Are you going to throw those tools away when you're done with the project? Of course not, they are a long-term investment that will allow you to make many more projects in your future. You should be pro-rating the cost of those across the rest of your life, or even the expected life span of your children and grandchildren. The way I see it, you saved yourself at least $2700, you're now equipped to do better work faster and I bet you have some left over material you can use to make gifts. Seems like a bargain to me.
Bob Lang
ReadWatchDo.com