Delta 15" Planer woes
Bought a used Delta 22-785x planer last fall. I ran an 8" or so wide piece of wood thru it at the PO's shop and it cut well but did want to rotate the piece a little to the left when run thru the right side of the machine. I figured it was a simple adjustment issue so bought the machine. Now I've got my new shop pretty well set up and the planer has become a pita when running narrower boards thru the right side. 

Started troubleshooting with the bed rollers, I had set them even with the bed when I started using it and they were still OK. Then checked the outfeed roller. Holy Crap, the last couple inches of rubber is completely gone on the right side. No wonder it won't feed correctly. I wish I had checked it closer when I bought it but---it was in a one man shop, clean and neat and the planer and everything there appeared to be well maintained. Needless to say the guy had to know the roller was trashed and handed me a board wide enough that he knew would feed through well. It's too late to go back to him, just hoping my post will encourage others buying used equipment to go over them with a fine tooth comb. 

The Delta roller is in stock at eReplacementparts for $155. Does anyone know if the Grizzly G0550 roller will interchange? It is in stock and is only $72 and change. I think the Griz roller is solid steel while the Delta is rubber.

Not looking forward to ripping the whole thing apart ----but------  Guess this is another of life's little lessons.

Thanks, g
I've only had one...in dog beers.

"You can see the stars and still not see the light"
The Eagles: Already Gone
(09-02-2018, 03:17 PM)shoottmx Wrote: Bought a used Delta 22-785x planer last fall. I ran an 8" or so wide piece of wood thru it at the PO's shop and it cut well but did want to rotate the piece a little to the left when run thru the right side of the machine. I figured it was a simple adjustment issue so bought the machine. Now I've got my new shop pretty well set up and the planer has become a pita when running narrower boards thru the right side. 

Started troubleshooting with the bed rollers, I had set them even with the bed when I started using it and they were still OK. Then checked the outfeed roller. Holy Crap, the last couple inches of rubber is completely gone on the right side. No wonder it won't feed correctly. I wish I had checked it closer when I bought it but---it was in a one man shop, clean and neat and the planer and everything there appeared to be well maintained. Needless to say the guy had to know the roller was trashed and handed me a board wide enough that he knew would feed through well. It's too late to go back to him, just hoping my post will encourage others buying used equipment to go over them with a fine tooth comb. 

The Delta roller is in stock at eReplacementparts for $155. Does anyone know if the Grizzly G0550 roller will interchange? It is in stock and is only $72 and change. I think the Griz roller is solid steel while the Delta is rubber.

Not looking forward to ripping the whole thing apart ----but------  Guess this is another of life's little lessons.

Thanks, g

I do not know about swapping the parts between manufacturers, but I DO know that there are many firms out there that can remanufacture rollers. The steel shaft/rubber coated roller is a pretty common design feature of a number of machines across a wide range of industries from printing presses to paper mills to wide belt sanders. 

A quick search for a firm near you can probably at least get you a price. They can simply re-mold new rubber onto your existing steel part.
Ralph Bagnall
www.woodcademy.com
Watch Woodcademy TV free on our website.
(09-02-2018, 05:35 PM)handi Wrote: They can simply re-mold new rubber onto your existing steel part.

Thanks Ralph, never thought about reworking the roller, will look into it.

g

(09-02-2018, 05:48 PM)shoottmx Wrote: Thanks Ralph, never thought about reworking the roller, will look into it.

g

I had Western Roller coat my trashed rubber rollers with Polyurethane on a JPM-13 planer moulder.  Very happy with the results.

I have 2 Delta rubber rollers in my Grizzly Go453Z. They git but I needed some spacers on each side of the roller to keep it centered. The Grizzly would have been too long to go into the Delta. The Model number you are asking about so I don't know for sure. The Best bet it to get them recoated.
"There is no such thing as stupid questions, just stupid people"
(09-03-2018, 10:01 AM)CARYinWA Wrote: I had Western Roller coat my trashed rubber rollers with Polyurethane on a JPM-13 planer moulder.  Very happy with the results.

I have 2 Delta rubber rollers in my Grizzly Go453Z.  They git but I needed some spacers on each side of the roller to keep it centered.  The Grizzly would have been too long to go into the Delta.  The Model number you are asking about so I don't know for sure.  The Best bet it to get them recoated.

Cary,
I've searched via Google but haven't found a recoating company in or near  Maine. Was recoating economical when compared to $170 for a new roller? I'm going to have freight both ways.

Thanks,  g

(09-03-2018, 12:03 PM)shoottmx Wrote: Cary,
I've searched via Google but haven't found a recoating company in or near  Maine. Was recoating economical when compared to $170 for a new roller? I'm going to have freight both ways.

Thanks,  g

I don't recall the cost.  It was cheaper then new rollers.  Polyurethane is much better then rubber also.  Give them a call for a quote.  They are a great bunch of guys.
https://www.westernroller.com/
"There is no such thing as stupid questions, just stupid people"