Laminate flooring in Workshop
We recently finished a couple rooms in our basement.  At Home Depot we found a newish vinyl plank product.  It looks like the fake wood laminate planks, but is not made of any wood components, just the vinyl.  It is hard, durable, and good looking.  One variety is made to go down directly on concrete, with an integral backing that doesn't require any other sort of vapor barrier.  I have personally installed four laminate floors over the years and have had a few chipping edges and surface lamination peels with a couple of them.  It doesn't seem like the vinyl stuff would have the same problems.  Go to Home Depot and check it out.
(11-17-2018, 09:37 AM)Jack01 Wrote: Thank you very much for all the feedback. I hope to start the project this weekend.

Cian

Your workshop looks great, nice looking floor.

Two weekends ago I finally completed the project. It was a long process. I probably spend 60 % of my time cutting around all the plumbing fixtures ( total 5).
My back and knees did not like the project but I am happy with the outcome.

I will be putting trim on soon.

Now moving all tools back. I need to get good traction shoes to work in this area.

Start of the project, The concrete floor.
See the finish floor.

Attached Files Image(s)

Floor looks great,  your feet will be grateful.  I have shoes with very little traction, put put down loose rugs and they give plenty of traction.
Just a thought , or a question to those who have put a vapor barrier over a concrete floor and then applied laminate or sold wood  flooring. That vapor barrier keeps the moisture under the plastic but also keeps the slab from 'breathing' as I see it. I know this is a common practice in the trades but what keeps mold from growing under the vapor barrier?  Seems there is moisture with no where to go. Anyone tore up an old install of this sort to discover mold issues?
(12-01-2018, 01:00 PM)danceswithticks Wrote: Just a thought , or a question to those who have put a vapor barrier over a concrete floor and then applied laminate or sold wood  flooring. That vapor barrier keeps the moisture under the plastic but also keeps the slab from 'breathing' as I see it. I know this is a common practice in the trades but what keeps mold from growing under the vapor barrier?  Seems there is moisture with no where to go. Anyone tore up an old install of this sort to discover mold issues?

I do not have any scientific answer to your question.

I lived in Florida for 15 years in a new house which was built for us.
In Florida no basement so flooring goes direct on concrete , I had wood flooring, tile and carpet throughout the house. Did not have any moisture issue in 15 years. As you know Florida is humid and water table is low  so the soil is moist.  I was expecting issues but did not experience any.

In contrary Colorado is so dry, I do not expect any moisture.
(11-28-2018, 02:52 PM)Jack01 Wrote: Two weekends ago I finally completed the project. 

Looks great!  Wonderful job, Jack! 
Cool
Jack, that looks really good.

I am not sure what to do in my shop, but in the rest of the basement I am probably going to put down dimple mat first.  https://www.homedepot.com/p/DMX-1-STEP-1.../204494289

I have a mill that weighs over 5000lb and a lathe that weighs 1200lb in my shop.  The lathe might be okay on laminate, dont think the mill would be.
Laminate flooring as a floor covering is appropriate in any interior from classic to minimalist. It is able to imitate various textures, even ceramic tiles, not to mention wood.
I put laminate over concrete in my workshop about two years go.  Put down plastic over the concrete first as a moisture / vapor barrier.  It's worked out fine. So far, so good.
Telling a man he has too many tools,
is like telling a woman she has too many shoes.
I have been using this laminate floor for over 2 years. Very happy about this improvement

·        All my tools have casters and they move very easily on the floor.
·        Easy to clean saw dust from floor.
·        It is little warmer than the concrete floor I use to stand on.
·        My hand tools, small tools like it because they do not damage easily compare to the concrete floor.