Sealcoat for christmas decorations
I have some water based painted christmas decorations that I would like to set outside on a porch.  Before I put GF 450 on, do I need a seal coat?   Would Arm-R-Seal work, before I use the GF450?  Is there a better clear sealer for this task?
(12-04-2018, 07:06 AM)mtl Wrote: I have some water based painted christmas decorations that I would like to set outside on a porch.  Before I put GF 450 on, do I need a seal coat?   Would Arm-R-Seal work, before I use the GF450?  Is there a better clear sealer for this task?

You won't need a sealer if you used paint.  The GF-450 can go right on top.  

John
(12-04-2018, 10:43 AM)jteneyck Wrote: You won't need a sealer if you used paint.  The GF-450 can go right on top.  

John

Thanks, John.  

It is chalk paint and I will spray the GF 450 tomorrow.
I've used waterbased paints on wood and it raised the grain.  Test first.  Sealcoat will prevent grain raising.
No animals were injured or killed in the production of this post.
(12-05-2018, 09:19 AM)Cooler Wrote: I've used waterbased paints on wood and it raised the grain.  Test first.  Sealcoat will prevent grain raising.

He's already painted them.  

John
(12-05-2018, 10:57 AM)jteneyck Wrote: He's already painted them.  

John

I missed that.  Note the GF 450 is exterior only.  Not to be used indoors.
(12-06-2018, 08:34 AM)Cooler Wrote: I missed that.  Note the GF 450 is exterior only.  Not to be used indoors.

It wouldn't be my first choice, but GF450 would be fine indoors for something that doesn't need much abrasion resistance, certainly the OP's intended application.  

John
(12-06-2018, 10:38 AM)jteneyck Wrote: It wouldn't be my first choice, but GF450 would be fine indoors for something that doesn't need much abrasion resistance, certainly the OP's intended application.  

John
It apparently outgasses harmful fumes.  That is why it is specified for outdoors only.  For a few small items it is probably not an issue. The safety data sheet is very long:  https://generalfinishes.com/sites/defaul...-05-15.pdf
(12-06-2018, 11:02 AM)Cooler Wrote: It apparently outgasses harmful fumes.  That is why it is specified for outdoors only.  For a few small items it is probably not an issue.  The safety data sheet is very long:  https://generalfinishes.com/sites/defaul...-05-15.pdf

Lots of products outgas harmful fumes while they dry/cure; including most solvent based finishes and even many waterborne ones.  I'm not trying to diminish any potential issues GF450 may have; only point out that you need to handle and use most all finishes with care and appropriate PPE.  

John